Engine will turn over, but not start - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Engine will turn over, but not start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine will turn over, but not start

Hey guys, new here- I actually have an ls1 z, but was helping my friend with his 2000 3.8 car, and it was overheating, and burning coolant(so much dexcool gunk). So, we flushed the coolant system, and it ran a bit better, but still burning coolant, and figured it was the intake manifold gasket, but he didnt have time to replace the whole thing, so we just replaced the leaking throttle body gasket- and the car wouldnt start. After fiddling with the ignition(VATS was locking us out it seemed), we got it to turn over, and no luck, it would turn, but not start. So we checked spark, and the spark was very weak, and the plugs were covered in gas/coolant from earlier. We have new spark plugs, do you think the engine will start, or should we remove all the plugs and disable the injectors, turn it over to get the crap out, and then start her up on new plugs?

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. Thanks.

Re: Engine will turn over, but not start

I would guess its the intake manifold gasket that needs to be replaced...it happened to me...but you need to get the update gasket NOT the OEM gasket. You may want to just replace the damn radiator ...its now 12-14 years old!
    Phil

Comment

Yeah I would go with the alm. gaskets. Along with a new t-stat and if the water pump and radiator are old might as well replace them also.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

What they said. ^

Comment

We've got the plenum gasket and metal lower intake gasket sets, but he just wants to get it running, doesnt think the gaskets are out.

Comment

UPDATE: IT WORKS! kinda. It had something to do with the ignition, so new plugs/wires installed, but now its billowing white smoke... Oh boy, so it is one of the intake gaskets somewhere along the line. Is that something we should have a professional take care of?

Comment

do them yourselves if you got a few hours to waste and drink beers. they arent that hard

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
              http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
              Or this

Comment

he and i had a hard enough time with the throttle body one. last time we were working on it the neighborhood kids came and would not stop trying to touch my tools or my z28(which I just had professionally detailed), and the mosquitos are out in force atm. He just moved, so we dont have kids around anymore, but do you guys have a writeup, and do we need to rtv the gaskets?

Comment

I would grab a Haynes manual it will benefit you both since they have v6 and v8 engines in it.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                    Yeah I would go with the alm. gaskets.
                    Who makes these LIM gaskets?

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Fel Pro problem solver gaskets. They've been on the market for quite some time now.

MS 98014 T

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
                        Fel Pro problem solver gaskets. They've been on the market for quite some time now.

MS 98014 T
                        Quite different from the Fel-Pro MS 95809-1.
                        Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...ke-Gasket.aspx

I believe these are the ones I went with on my build. They're the factory updated aluminum gaskets and cheaper than the Fel-Pro ones.
                          aka FreedStyle
                          Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
                          2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
                            http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...ke-Gasket.aspx

I believe these are the ones I went with on my build. They're the factory updated aluminum gaskets and cheaper than the Fel-Pro ones.
                            Yep that's the ones I went with from Zzperformance.

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                              Quite different from the Fel-Pro MS 95809-1.
                              Yeah, well that plastic in the gasket is one of the reasons why you have an issue with intake gasket leaks on the 3800. Heat cycles + dex-cool and they'd start to crack. Mine came out in pieces at 120,000 miles.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X