Oil Pan Cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pan Cleaning

Looking for recommendations for cleaning the INSIDE of the oil pan of oil "gunk". Thanks
    Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Re: Oil Pan Cleaning

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
    Looking for recommendations for cleaning the INSIDE of the oil pan of oil "gunk". Thanks
    I used carb cleaner then I cleaned mine, when I cleaned my pistons that I took out of the car I used that purple power stuff, or super clean is the same thing...I would try pouring some of that stuff in and let is soak for 5 mins or so, then take a brush and start cleaning any heavy deposits with the fluid still in it, drain and repeat as necessary...just make sure you then rinse the pan down thoroughly to get rid of anything that may contaminate the oil later.

Coin op wash with the pressure washer works well

I am assuming the pan is out of the car?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
      just make sure you then rinse the pan down thoroughly to get rid of anything that may contaminate the oil later.

I am assuming the pan is out of the car?
      That is my concern.

Yes

Raven

Comment

Well I would say Carb cleaner or something like the seafoam and then some regular soap and water. Carb cleaner is sprayed into engines and they say change the oil after about 500km when you do that. So generally I would say that that stuff is your safest bet because it is meant to go into the motor and it can't leave much of a residue if any as it needs to be able to be burned off within that 500km change- otherwise everyone who ran it would be tanking / damaging their motors.

Regular soap and water (like dish soap) should get rid of any residue inside the pan, then if you were really concerned like I usually am, run a cheap oil for 500km and then drain it and put a new filter on as well.

You're an AMS member- their OE stuff is a good oil and very inexpensive. That is what I usually run for short intervals to ensure any contaminates are drained out before I switch back to their top stuff.

Comment

Hey Robert, since your oil pan is off are you installing your tubular K as well?
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            Hey Robert, since your oil pan is off are you installing your tubular K as well?
            I'm removing the K-member to replace the gasket AND the pan since it has a dent in it.

However I am not installing the Spohn K-member - I am replacing the existing with a stock conv K-member instead.

Raven

Comment

I'm removing the K-member to replace the gasket AND the pan since it has a dent in it.

However I am not installing the Spohn K-member - I am replacing the existing with a stock conv K-member instead.

why are you opting to go that route?

Comment

Posts on road racing boards that aftermarket tubular have failed.

Going with stronger and stiffer for the "curves".

Attached Files

Raven

Comment

A gallon of mineral spirits will do great cleaning the oil pan. It's whats used in parts washers in auto shops these days.
                  sigpic

Comment

Posts on road racing boards that aftermarket tubular have failed.

Going with stronger and stiffer for the "curves".

Have the Spohn's failed? And if so were they Mild steel or 4130?
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                      Have the Spohn's failed? And if so were they Mild steel or 4130?
                      http://ls1tech.com/forums/road-racin...k-members.html

Raven

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X