Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating?!?!

Okay guys,

After i swapped the LIM and UIM gaskets the car was doing great. Unfortunately one day I had the urge to drive hard. One of the hoses connect to the water jacket popped off and before I knew it the car shut down due to it being over heated. It was literally out of any water.

Waited for it to cool, added new water and she started back up.I plugged the hose back on, its nice and sturdy.

Car runs great on the high way, temp stays nice and cool. IN the city it tends to go all the way up to 210*. Took off the thermostat and same thing.

Any thoughts on what can keep it at 210* only on the city? Car has never done this usually stays at the highest of 180*

Re: Overheating?!?!

check the fans

Comment

You can get your PCM tuned for them to kick on at a lower temp, or add a manual fan switch. If you turn on your AC you can check to make sure that the fans at least function before you replace them.

Comment

When I got home to check fans, fans ran ok with a/c on.. Double checked all the coolant relays..
        Now Im stumbled on what to check next.

Comment

Stock fan temps are 220 degrees for low speed 1 fan and 230 degrees for high speed both fans. Its going to heat up until your fans kick on or driving on the highway it gets enough air to cool it down. If you have your fans tuned to come on earlier or add a fan switch its going to heat up in warmer weather.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            Stock fan temps are 220 degrees for low speed 1 fan and 230 degrees for high speed both fans. Its going to heat up until your fans kick on or driving on the highway it gets enough air to cool it down. If you have your fans tuned to come on earlier or add a fan switch its going to heat up in warmer weather.
            I let the car idle for a while, temp reached above 3/4 so about 235* and neither fan turned on

Comment

Is the ECT connected to the dash? or does another temp sensor read that?

Comment

ECT will show your temp on your dash but the PCM also reads it and adjusts other settings for the PCM. Your car should shut itself off if it gets too hot, I forget the temp but its in the PCM settings. I would be testing your fans and relay, I think if its the ECT sensor it would throw a DTC code.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I have a 160* stat and it still reaches 210* in city driving with traffic.

But if yours is at 210* all time regardless of traffic then you should check and see if your fans are operational.

Comment

ECT will show your temp on your dash but the PCM also reads it and adjusts other settings for the PCM. Your car should shut itself off if it gets too hot, I forget the temp but its in the PCM settings. I would be testing your fans and relay, I think if its the ECT sensor it would throw a DTC code.

I tested fans with the car battery and they ran flawlessly, and relay seem to work on all other inputs.. Think ECT may be the culprit not letting the voltage drop in order for the fans to kick in

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                      I have a 160* stat and it still reaches 210* in city driving with traffic.

But if yours is at 210* all time regardless of traffic then you should check and see if your fans are operational.
                      I also have a 160* stat, and reaches 210* during red lights. Luckily, I usually get on high way after so it cools down with the cool wind

Comment

Purge air from lines using the set screw on the top of the thermostat.

You could have a weak water pump. This easily could be the case if you've consistently filled the coolant system with tap water.

Comment

Air lines have been purged..

Found that the fans werent spinning when they were supposed too. They turn on with the ac, and if i disconnect the ect sensor. Why wont they turn on?

Comment

Bad relay or fuse maybe, or theres a short somewhere.

Comment

Bad relay or fuse maybe, or theres a short somewhere.
                              Would it be the ECT sensor sending bad signals? However the dash gauge seems to be on track and no codes on DTC

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X