3800 Camaro issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3800 Camaro issues

I have a 2002 Camaro 3800 with an issue that I just can't seem to figure out. This all started in December, when I had a water pump failure. The engine would go near the 260 mark. I would (of course) shut it off and I would add water as needed. This lasted till I got it home. The next day I opened the hood, saw that the water pump pulley would wobble and water came out of the sides of the pump. I swapped it, and I noticed that the car would still heat up all the way to 210F, sometimes it would even go past it. I burped the air out of it, took out the thermostat, and it still heats up to 210. I've been told that without a thermostat, the engine shouldn't heat up to more than 160F. Mind you, all of this is during the winter.

Another thing I've noticed is above the valve cover gasket there is water roughly where the fuel rail runs (I've gotten tired of buying dexcool, only for the car to spit it out, so I started mixing it with water). I will get a pic of that next time I'm near the car since it's in storage.

Anyways, what should I hunt for concerning this issue? I've heard many theories on what it COULD be, but no one has said 'This IS why you have these symptoms". Another side note to add is that the temperature will drop to 160 if I turn on the heater to full blast, and one time heater lost heat after a while, which I assume is since the engine heat drops.

All help is appreciated.

Re: 3800 Camaro issues

you won't get a definitive answer thats definitely correct over the internet. my first guess would be radiator being clogged. based on. it running warm without a thermostat.

Comment

Unless you have a manual fan switch or the fans reprogramed the car is going to heat up to operating temp, low fan speed comes on at 220 degrees(1 fan) and high is, 230 degrees(both fans), so 210 is right about where its going to heat up to.If you turn the A/C on the low fan speed comes on. With a manual fan switch on high,drilled 160 thermo mine at idle goes to 170-180 degrees. If I don't it will go to 210-220 degrees like normal. As far as the antifreeze around the fuel rails I would say lower intake manifold leaking.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Not really sure, but I think you may need to replace your gaskets. Check and see where the coolant is leaking too.

I worked on my sister's 94 Sentra last year. First I kept replacing the hoses, then the thermostat and then the hoses. Water Pump failed afterwards and replaced that. Finally, it all came down to a damaged head gasket.

Comment

Originally posted by thebeewantsboost View Post
          you won't get a definitive answer thats definitely correct over the internet. my first guess would be radiator being clogged. based on. it running warm without a thermostat.
          I figure, but I also know that I'm not the first to have an issue like this. A wild idea beats misdiagnosis by a long shot. Ive actually been told the engine can heat up because I have no thermostat or that running water will not cool it, both of which can be easily disproved based on common sense.

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
          Unless you have a manual fan switch or the fans reprogramed the car is going to heat up to operating temp, low fan speed comes on at 220 degrees(1 fan) and high is, 230 degrees(both fans), so 210 is right about where its going to heat up to.If you turn the A/C on the low fan speed comes on. With a manual fan switch on high,drilled 160 thermo mine at idle goes to 170-180 degrees. If I don't it will go to 210-220 degrees like normal. As far as the antifreeze around the fuel rails I would say lower intake manifold leaking.
          I'm suspecting the LIM's as well, but I'm not too sure if that can cause an overheating issue. I know one time when I had the t-stat in, I actually had it in park for 45 minutes running at 210, but once I put it in gear, it overheated within 5 minutes. I had to cut it off, then return to my house. I had only made it down my block. That one day, I actually saw water spray out near the valve cover like if it was nobody's business. Also, when I've tried to burp the cooling system the old fashioned way (rad cap open, pour water in until it starts pressurizing upwards), I've had the rad have no pressure while cold, only to randomly spill its guts out and make a weird thumping noise. IDK if this means I have 2 things going on or this is all related, but my question is: Will a pressure test show me a bad LIM gasket, or am I shooting blindly at replacing them?

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk.
          Last edited by Nas Escobar; 03-17-2014, 11:33 PM.

Comment

I would make sure your low and high speed fans are working. You can turn on the A/C to check the low speed(1 of the fans will be on) For the high you'll have to let it get to 230 degrees and both fans will be on. Or if you have someone with Hptuners they can turn on the fans through VCM controls. I think you should be able to pressure test the system, don't know if it will tell you where but if your seeing coolant by the valve cover then most likely LIM gasket. If I were you I would make sure its not the head gaskets just because it would suck just to do the LIM, then find out the head gaskets are shot. Its easier to do it all at once. Also on the thermo housing is a bleed screw to air out the system, I use this until a full stream of coolant comes out, then let it cool and then fill the radiator, works great.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I would make sure your low and high speed fans are working. You can turn on the A/C to check the low speed(1 of the fans will be on) For the high you'll have to let it get to 230 degrees and both fans will be on. Or if you have someone with Hptuners they can turn on the fans through VCM controls. I think you should be able to pressure test the system, don't know if it will tell you where but if your seeing coolant by the valve cover then most likely LIM gasket. If I were you I would make sure its not the head gaskets just because it would suck just to do the LIM, then find out the head gaskets are shot. Its easier to do it all at once. Also on the thermo housing is a bleed screw to air out the system, I use this until a full stream of coolant comes out, then let it cool and then fill the radiator, works great.
              I have HPTuners, but I don't have my laptop anymore nor an OBD2 cable. I did think about retuning the computer to get the fans on earlier since im used to other cars where they always run no hotter than 180-190.

Now as far as the head gasket, what's the easiest test there? Plug pulling?

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk.

Comment

Most GM vehicles will run about 210-220 thats the operating temp, my 08' 6.0 Silverado runs that all the time summer or winter. I think if it was a headgasket you would of lost compression in one of the cylinders and it would run like crap, you could pressure test it and do a compression test but if your seeing coolant by the valve covers its most likely the LIM.

Comment

Most GM vehicles will run about 210-220 thats the operating temp, my 08' 6.0 Silverado runs that all the time summer or winter. I think if it was a headgasket you would of lost compression in one of the cylinders and it would run like crap, you could pressure test it and do a compression test but if your seeing coolant by the valve covers its most likely the LIM.
                  My Olds Cutlass Supreme runs around 180F. Rarely does it go over 200F, but this was after changing the LIM gasket on that engine. It used to run to 220F, then cool down to 200F flat after running. My old Grand Am also ran at 190F, and I never touched that engine, which was the first Ecotec sold in the states.

Anyways, the Camaro isn't running rough, or nasty, but it does have a small shake, which I assume is inherent to the 3800 from what I read, but it's not a shake that is persistent, it goes away when I drive it and the car drives smooth.

I'll be doing the pressure test when it gets warm. I'm in DC so, the bipolar weather hasn't helped me do anything this year.

Comment

Sounds possessed. I have cooling issues too, though I did drive 8 hours yesterday with no problems.

Have you replaced the coolant elbows with the metal ones?

Comment

Originally posted by enzia35 View Post
                      Sounds possessed. I have cooling issues too, though I did drive 8 hours yesterday with no problems.

Have you replaced the coolant elbows with the metal ones?
                      Not yet, but I have converted the heater hose clips to a more standard worm clamp with that kit that screws into the belt pulley assembly. I've thought about swapping the elbows to metal if I do the LIM gasket on this engine.

Comment

You can do the elbows in just a few hours without having to pull the lim is you want. A great time would be if you change the tstat, temp sensor or water pump. Doesn't take much time at all... but if you are planning on doing the LIM soon. Then might as well wait

Comment

Originally posted by Ibanezz View Post
                          You can do the elbows in just a few hours without having to pull the lim is you want. A great time would be if you change the tstat, temp sensor or water pump. Doesn't take much time at all... but if you are planning on doing the LIM soon. Then might as well wait
                          I know, but I already did the water pump on this car. This is where the issue started from. A couple days after the water pump was done, it spit out water from the passenger bank, above the valve cover.

I really don't trust this car at the moment, so I want to do the LIM to be on the safe side, but IDK where I can find a how to with pics for the Camaro. All the stuff I see is for the FWD 3800.

Comment

There isa complete write up on v6f-body. And people who can walk you through it. My car starts smelling sweet after its been running for a long time, so I will be doing lim and uim gaskets this fall assuming nothing catastrophic happens before then. Already have changed out everything other than that and head gaskets

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X