Need ideas why my temp. gauge is not working - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need ideas why my temp. gauge is not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need ideas why my temp. gauge is not working

Hey guys, my 2.8 Bird sat for almost 3 months not being used and when I used it last week I noticed the Temp. Gauge stopped working.

Can you guys give me some ideas that I should be checking or looking at. Thanks.

Re: Need ideas why my temp. gauge is not working

I would look at the ECT sensor, its the only one that would cause it not to read. Its on the front of the lower intake underneath the TB.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
      I would look at the ECT sensor, its the only one that would cause it not to read. Its on the front of the lower intake underneath the TB.
      Ok, thanks. I'll check it out.

Comment

Also check the wiring. Where did it sit for 3 months? Can rodents get to it? They are notorious for eating the wiring.
        Hopefully it is something simple.

Comment

No rodents. It just sat outside under the elements. I'll look into ect and sending unit and see which one failed.

Comment

more than likely it is the sensor...happened to my saturn

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Well still have the same problem. No change.

I changed the ECT sensor and it didn't help. I looked at the sending unit and it's seems to be functional. It's giving me feedback.

Anything else??? Could it be the gauge itself??? But it does give feedback with it's needle moving up and down on initial start.

Comment

Take the wire off the sensor and ground it to the block. With the key on the gauge should read maximum temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4grapeofwrath View Post
                  Take the wire off the sensor and ground it to the block. With the key on the gauge should read maximum temperature.
                  Yes, I did that and the sender did that. So I'm stoke.

It doesn't seem the gauge would be damage. There must be something else.

Comment

Sounds like everything is working properly. Is the sensor grounded to the intake properly? To check use a jumper cable from the sensor body to the engine block. Did you clean the threads on the intake? Also if you used Teflon tape on the threads you could insulate the ground of the sensor.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X