Synthetic oil Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synthetic oil Comparison

So I've been wanting to do this myself for a long time so that I can actually sit down and truly compare all the synthetic oils to determine what is best for my car.

I have to say, I am still dead set on Amsoil, but I found some interesting specs on some of the other oils like Mobil 1, looks like they are starting to step up their game a bit.

Some of this information has been extremely difficult to find, but I would like to compare more oils than what I just have listed

Does anyone have any suggestions? I have amsoil, RP, Penzoil, and Mobil and I am having a hard time getting specs on Castrol

What else is out there?

Here is the data I put together so far to if anyone is interested in it. Synthetic Oil Comparison

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: Synthetic oil Comparison

What about Valvoline or Quaker State? I personally use Brad Penn oil in my 3800. Mobil1 in my truck.
    aka FreedStyle
    Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
    2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

I only ever hear is to use amsoil or Mobil 1. I use whatever I get an oil deal on at Advanced Auto because any synthetic they offer with a deal is better than the conventional I was using for years.

Comment

Synthetic oil Comparison

Check this out for an interesting read: http://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

I've been using Mobil 1 0w40, which is what Saab recommends. After 5500 mile changes and sending in a sample to Blackstone Labs for analysis, I haven't really been that impressed. The viscosity has been rather thin for an otherwise healthy engine. And 5500 miles is 2000 miles short of the "recommended interval". This coincides with what I've heard about Mobil 1 - also notice that the "European formula" ranks underwhelmingly low on that list.

I'll be switching to Pennzoil Platinum for this next change. I've heard good things about it and it costs a bit less. A good thing too since this car takes 6.2 quarts of oil.
        '99 Camaro
        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by CFreed11 View Post
          What about Valvoline or Quaker State? I personally use Brad Penn oil in my 3800. Mobil1 in my truck.
          Sweet I forgot about those!

I only ever hear is to use amsoil or Mobil 1. I use whatever I get an oil deal on at Advanced Auto because any synthetic they offer with a deal is better than the conventional I was using for years.
          while it is true any synthetic is better than conventional for the most part, I have always thought about cheaping out on oil as the same as cheaping out on tires...your tires are the only thing between you and the road, well your oil is the only thing between your engine's bearings living and dying. If I am going to drive my car hard, I want to protect it the best way possible and at the end of the day, all the oils are within 5-10$ so it really isn't a huge difference cost wise to do so.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
            Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post

while it is true any synthetic is better than conventional for the most part, I have always thought about cheaping out on oil as the same as cheaping out on tires...your tires are the only thing between you and the road, well your oil is the only thing between your engine's bearings living and dying. If I am going to drive my car hard, I want to protect it the best way possible and at the end of the day, all the oils are within 5-10$ so it really isn't a huge difference cost wise to do so.
              I agree about the tires. But the last oil change I made the switch to synthetic, I used Valvoline full synthetic and I noticed such a HUGE improvement that I cant see there being an even greater difference to another synthetic. My engine use to lug in the lower RPMs and almost stall very easily when pulling into my garage (I have a 5 speed), now every shift is smoother and it doesn't even get close to stalling, I thought I was the problem before. It really has made me enjoy driving my car again, as ridiculous as that sounds.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X