What the Heck!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What the Heck!?!?!

:twak: Okay. So I have been searching for these dang lean codes and this ticking noise for over a year now, and they came back today, and they burned up the catalytic converter I just put on there 2 weeks ago!!! any Help guys?!?!

New injectors
    02 sensors about 10 months ago
    New headers
    Just put a converter on and it burned it up
    Ticking noise is STILL here (I can post a new video of it running tomorrow)
    New AC Delco EGR (bought the delete kit but havent put it on yet)

I have no freakin clue :rant:

Re: What the Heck!?!?!

is the egr tube still cracked?

Comment

Originally posted by thebeewantsboost View Post
      Nope got a good one from a junk yard.

Comment

You destroyed at cat in 2 weeks?!
        Wow.

In that two weeks, were the two lean codes turning the engine light on for the entire two weeks?

If so, this was lean codes for both sides?
        Any other codes?

Any other mods other than those listed in the first post?

Do you use any gasoline additives?
        Are you using any leaded racing gasoline?

Comment

Originally posted by thebeewantsboost View Post
          Even with the tube cracked (mine was cracked for around a month) I never even got a lean code. I just had a clear exhaust leak ticking away in that spot. Could the ticking possibly be a leaky exhaust manifold gasket?

You said it has headers? What kind of gaskets are you running?

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah I use Shell 93 Octane pump gas. No the check engine light was off for a good week and half, after I replaced my plug wires, and put kevlar boot protectors on. Its got full bolt ons minus the custom tune, which is coming. When the P0174 and P0171 came back a week and a half later, It was P0420, P0174, P0171 annoyingly.

Comment

So what does fuel trim lean mean or what ever 171 and 174 code mean? Any one?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by FIREBIRDV6RAGE View Post
                So what does fuel trim lean mean or what ever 171 and 174 code mean? Any one?

Those two codes are bank 1 lean and bank 2 lean I believe

Comment

Originally posted by nwilson44 View Post
                  Those two codes are bank 1 lean and bank 2 lean I believe
                  Ahh I though it would of have been a more detailed type of problem. Anyways if I'm right what decides the fuel ratio to be more lean or rich is the 3rd o2 sensor.
                  The ones from bank 1 and 2 show what iy is and the one after the cat does corrections I belive. Not sure though.

Comment

the one after the cat is just there to tell you that the cat isn't clogged. the pre cat o2's do all of your adjustments.

Comment

The function of the rear O2S is not only to tell you if the cat is clogged---although you really wouldn't need a sensor to tell you that, unless you're a complete moron and can't feel the significant loss of power---the rear O2S monitors cat efficiency. The ECM compares the signals of the front sensors with that of the rear sensor. When the rear signal begins to mimic the front sensors' signals, the ECM assumes the cat is failing and turns on the engine light.

When 0171 and 0174 set that means, when the engine is in closed loop, both banks are running so lean that LTFT goes to the limit (20%) in adding fuel, yet the engine still is lean. Needless to say, that's a "lot of lean".

Now that the OP says that 0420, 0171 and 0174 show up together, I'm going to suggest that, as long as the engine has no vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks or fuel delivery problems, there could be a problem created by the headers which might be solved by custom calibration of not only wide-open throttle but also part throttle.

The 0420 could be a byproduct of the engine running lean at part throttle, it could be a low-quality aftermarket cat or it could be a problem with where the cat is in the system.

Comment

its got a magnaflow cat thats new. so idk why or how it burned that up. i put the egr delete on last night and that helped.

Comment

Go to the parts store, get some MAF sensor cleaner.

Disconnect battery.

Remove maf sensor being careful not to let it touch anything.

Clean that sum-buck like you're gonna need to eat off it. Let it dry.

Reinstall.

Reconnect battery.

Also make sure you don't have any cracked brake booster hoses or anything like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hib Halverson View Post
                            The function of the rear O2S is not only to tell you if the cat is clogged---although you really wouldn't need a sensor to tell you that, unless you're a complete moron and can't feel the significant loss of power---the rear O2S monitors cat efficiency.
                            i was just trying to keep it simple :rolleyes: lol

does it idle smooth? high? can you hear a hissing sound from the engine bay?

isn't there a common problem with fuel pressure regulators?? i haven't come acrossed it myself. but i think i recall reading that...

whatever you do. don't bother with the tune until you have it figured out.

Comment

Eh, usually when that diaphragm in the fuel pressure regulator goes, it adds a lot more fuel through the vacuum line to the MAP sensor. I've done that before. The opposite of regulated. Wouldn't hurt to check it though.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X