Engine Start Button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Start Button

Ok I want to put in a Engine Start Button, the plan is to hide it, so if any body has the keys to my car the still will not be able to start, if I understand correctly if I put in the button, first you will have to put in the key and turn it in the on position and the I pres the button right ??

http://www.ls1camaro.net/sections.ph...ticle&artid=12

I have read this web site and I know how to install it me self

what do you people think abut that ???

and is this how the button works ??

and for some reason will his make it easier for the thief to stile my car if they now abut it somehow be shorting the wirers or soothing ??

Hiding a start button as a security method seems kind of pointless. A theif will still be able to hot wire it so at best it may prevent a friend from snaging your keys and messing with your car.

If you are doing it just because you would like a start button or it's a show car or something then go for it. Yes, you will have to turn your keys to on then press the button.

Comment

Can he hot wire?? don’t are cars need to have the key in to by able to start it because off the chip ?

Comment

I made a metal plate that is shaped just like the 'upper' under dash plate. My normal under dash cover is riveted to it. It is very strong. a thief will normaly just tear away plastic covers and stuff to hot wire if they cant just pull the lock cylinder out. they will not be able to tear this away by hand. they will have to get out a small socket as well as a phillips head to get the cover off...to get to the wire harnes on the steering column.

my kill switch is 'wired' under there as well. the whole harnes is over wrapped with electrical tape. they will not be able to find a 'particular color wire' very easily nor quickly.

my kill swith is different that what you describe in your post.

suggest you do a little more research on kill switches and stuff. there is more than one way.

choose something that is not anoying for you nor 'obvious' to passengers. it is those +++holes from the party that you don't know...or your friends braging to other people you need to be careful about if you want to keep the switch 'secret.'

think left hand.
        01 Firebird A4 3.42
        Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
        and other mods
        Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

more importantly you'll need the key to unlock the steering column. Why dont you just get an alarm with remote start? it'll do the same thing but from further away.

Comment

i do have a remote start and thats way if i had a switch no one will evear now obut it becose i will start the car with remote, and if a "freand " takes my keys he will not start the car becse of the button. i dont now i think that will be cool i'm not sure

Comment

so you want the remote and the push button to work? that could make things complicated. With the remote I think its pointless to have the button. It just seems more like one of those 'either or, but not both' type of things.

Comment

Doesn't sound hard at all to do that. Just put the button in series with the remote start. Then you'd have to push the button while hitting the remote start (2 hands to start the car? Pain in the ***!). I think that's what you're saying.
                Matt
                1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
                Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

Ok this is what I wanted to do, put in a start button just like in the s2000, reason so that people cant start my car even if they have they key,

How it would work is that I would have to put in the key in ON position and then pres the button.

Because I have remote start I can start the car before I get in it and then all I have to do is just put in the key,

That will allow me to hide the button because I don’t have to use it all the time only when I don’t use the remote starter.

Comment

find the fuel pump line and put a switch on that, with a relay from the remote start so it still work if the swtich is off [img]smile.gif[/img]

[ March 17, 2006, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: viper04af ]
                    www.turbov6camaro.com
                    1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                    4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                    7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                    11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

it would be harder to turn on and off (not in the cab)

Comment

Originally posted by chicagosbird:
                        it would be harder to turn on and off (not in the cab)
                        nope its in the cab under the back seats the wire go out into the fuel tank

that or put the swtich in line with the fuel pump fuse ;)
                        www.turbov6camaro.com
                        1997 3800 Series II Camaro
                        4600 Stall for my ride to the mall :chug:
                        7.18 @ 99.77 1/8 -1.8x sixty (current quickest v6 fbod)
                        11.23 @ unk 5 1/4 - 7.19 1/8 - 1.83 sixty

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X