Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure Relief Valve

Car: 99 3.8L a4 Camaro

Anyone here know have a write up on replacing the oil pressure relief valve (or the oil pass valve I've heard it called too)? I've read it's right behind the oil filter, which makes since considering my problem:

I've been noticing my oil pressure fluctuating quite a bit recently, and after about a month of this it finally went too high and blew the oil filter right off of the motor (along with all my oil out) I quickly dropped the car into neutral and shut the motor off while I drifted to the side of the road.

Quick fix: a new filter and oil then driving it like a baby back to my garage.

This happened to me once before (same car) about 7 years ago after I seafoamed the motor, I wasn't as compitant back then so I took it to a mechanic and they replaced the oil pressure relief valve, said it had some carbon or other gunk built up on it making it stick. I assume the seafoam knocked something lose and it got caught there instead of the filter.

This time, the car sat for about a year while I did some suspension work and got distracted a little. I'm guessing it's the same problem, only caused by sitting this time, not seafoam.

Any help would be much appreciated.
    K&N air filter, Whisper air lid, magnaflow LT1 cat back, and magnaflow high flow cat, pacesetter headers, silverstars<br /><br />more to come soon<br />but for now im out of money

Damn that's crazy! Never heard of that before. Not sure if its any help to you but upon my random searching I came over a topic about modifying the bypass. Apparently its like a spring and a ball, and if it were to get stuck open, it allows oil to bypass the filter, this unfiltered oil fycks your car up and bam spun bearings. Someone around here did some modifying, wouldn't even give a write up because its very risky. He either would do it for a reasonable price, or you bring it to a machine shop.

Not sure if that is relevant but hope you find what your looking for

Comment

Re: Oil Pressure Relief Valve

I installed the higher psi oil kit from zzp at one time. It was just a stiffer spring. You could go back with stock components since your already seeing high oil pressure. It comes with a gasket, spring and a small metal plunger, but I would be more concerned with your main bearings if it was enough pressure to blow the filter off though. If one or more of your bearings has moved it will begin to block the oil passages in the block that lube the crank. I don't know if a clog in the top end would create that much pressure, like clogged pushrods? Hopefully you won't have to blow the whole engine apart to find it cause pulling the main caps on that engine sucks.

Comment

Does ZZP still make that kit? I looked around for it and didn't find it, but maybe I was searching in the wrong spot, or the wrong name.
        K&N air filter, Whisper air lid, magnaflow LT1 cat back, and magnaflow high flow cat, pacesetter headers, silverstars<br /><br />more to come soon<br />but for now im out of money

Comment

Originally posted by matt3989 View Post
          Does ZZP still make that kit? I looked around for it and didn't find it, but maybe I was searching in the wrong spot, or the wrong name.
          http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/...olume-Kit.aspx
          Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

At the same time, I've heard it's a good thing to do with a turbo motor, since the oil going through the bypass doesn't go to the sending unit, which has the turbo's oil feed on it.

Comment

Thanks FirebirdGT

And Docta, if what you're saying is, "since I have to buy that relief valve and put it in anyway, I might as well just add a turbo." I'm on board.

Comment

Negative... for turbo builds, I've heard to plug the bypass. Mine was, before the chain holding my new motor snapped and shattered my filter adapter :rolleyes:

Comment

Just pop off the filter housing and clean off the valve, probably just has a little rust on it and is sticking. It's happened to me a couple of times when the car sat over the winter without being started.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X