Leak from Oil Pump Drive O Ring (Distributor) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leak from Oil Pump Drive O Ring (Distributor)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak from Oil Pump Drive O Ring (Distributor)

1993 3.4L

Like the title says, I have a major oil leak coming from the O ring that seals the oil pump drive, or where the distributor would be, if we had one. I verified it this morning with my inspection mirror, and it is oozing up and out all around the base of the shaft.

My question is, have any of you ever replaced this O ring? Without removing either intake manifold (upper or lower)?

I can access the 15mm bolt with my socket wrench, and am able to loosen it. I believe I can do the entire job without removing anything. It is a tight space, but looks possible.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Hello? Anyone there? *Crickets chirping*.....

What happened to this place?

It's like a Ghost-town...

Comment

Re: Leak from Oil Pump Drive O Ring (Distributor)

Yes, it is possible to remove the oil pump drive without removing the intake.
      If your lucky it will come right out. Mine was hard to break free though. I used a sharp chisel in between the aluminum top of the pump drive and the engine block to free it then a screwdriver to pry it up the rest of the way. I didn't have a new O ring so I just cleaned off the oil and put RTV around the top lip of the drive and block and reassembled. Be careful when you remove the drive pump there is a hex rod that connects the drive to the oil pump.

Comment

Thank you very much for the info.

Much appreciated.

Comment

Re: Leak from Oil Pump Drive O Ring (Distributor)

Update:

The job is done. I completed it earlier today. I did it without removing the upper or lower intake manifold. It was a tight squeeze, but it made it out. It came out with the hex rod attached, so I replaced the O ring, dropped the hex rod back down the hole, and put it back together. The leak is completely gone. I'm very happy now.

Notes for those interested:
          The hole for the hex rod that goes to the oil pump is shaped like a funnel. The only place the rod can go is into the oil pump, so no worries.
          The old O ring was still in place, but it was now a rock hard piece of plastic.
          My car is EGR delete and heater hose delete. That is why I had enough room to do the job without removing the intake manifold.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X