SES Light On Steady: P0336 CKP Sensor DTC - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SES Light On Steady: P0336 CKP Sensor DTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SES Light On Steady: P0336 CKP Sensor DTC

1996 Camaro 3.8L w/ 366,000 miles on it!

Last week the SES light went steady ON...after I experienced a very slight miss while on the highway commute. Rather than ignore it, I had Autozone scan the codes and 3 showed up. I had them all reset to start troubleshooting it.

Yesterday the steady SES light reappeared again and P0336 was the only code extracted. Ordered the sensor through RockAuto.

-What else do I need with this high mileage motor, a harmonic balancer and which year to be specific as I have read a 1997 balancer is somewhat better than a 1996 version? I want to know why.

-What about the woodruff key, they come in the harmonic balancer kit?

-A CASE relearn is needed after the sensor swap. Total newbie here. I guess I have to go HP Tuners right?

-Not forgetting the pulley removal process but the bolt is TTY I am reading. Where can I obtain this particular bolt and torque spec?

Vehicle runs fine for now but I think I will experience more engine misses if I let this go into the winter and regret it >:rant: lol your replies are needed. Thx!
    Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Re: SES Light On Steady: P0336 CKP Sensor DTC

Today I swapped the ICM and 3 coil packs as part of my process of elimination job on this Labor Day weekend. Easy swap making sure the firing order was correct upon start up. So far so good.

The 3.8L motor still runs smooth but I'm sure a P0336 code will occur eventually. The spark plugs and wires are 6 months old, no arcing visible at night.

Link for CASE relearn for study purposes:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...8-CASE-Relearn
    Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Replaced the crankshaft sensor this past weekend. Runs great now however I have not performed the CASE relearn process yet. Results so far: no more hard starts or misfiring.

The harmonic balancer apparently is still good since 1996 and the vanes clean, not defective. Cleaned and reinstalled with new crankshaft bolt. New serpentine belt for completion.

RockAuto supplied the crankshaft sensor: DELPHI Part # SS10213 at $29.79

Comment

You don't need HPT to do a CASE learn. It can be done with a variety of scan tools as well.

Comment

And what scan tools are you specifying on? I'm new to all this.

The vehicle is running great so far but I'm interested what particular scan tool will improve the engines operation.

Thx Docta for the reply...

Comment

I know any dealership can do it. I know a variety of SnapOn scantools have the ability.

Comment

A few people on another forum have stated that the relearn can occur automatically if you do some highway driving, the more the better. But if you drive mostly city or suburbs, it will never happen. My local dealer will perform it, but charges the same as a flash/install/relearn, $105.

Comment

DTC P0336 is an ignition system fault with the medium resolution crankshaft reference pulses.

The code sets if the ignition control module (ICM) receives the low res. 3x signal but does not receive the medium res. 18x signal for one revolution.

Understand that this code CANNOT set if the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor is faulty because, if the 3x signal is received by the ICM, the sensor is working.

DTC P0336 can because:
                wiring or connection problem in the ICM harness
                faulty coil(s), arcing or carbon tracking
                faulty plug wires, arching to ICM harness
                faulty ICM
                faulty ECM

If the code resets, see the factory service manual for more information.

It was said above that the crankshaft position system variation relearn procedure (or "CASE" as some folks call it) can occur during highway driving.

That is a myth.

CKP system variation relearn can only be accomplished with a scan tester which supports that function and is required after solving DTC P0336.

Comment

Originally posted by Hib Halverson View Post
                  It was said above that the crankshaft position system variation relearn procedure (or "CASE" as some folks call it) can occur during highway driving.

That is a myth.

CKP system variation relearn can only be accomplished with a scan tester which supports that function and is required after solving DTC P0336.

Not true. I have witnessed it in person on an acquaintance's car many years ago. Now to be fair, it was a V8 (LS1) car and not V6, so I can't say for certain about the V6, hence the qualifications regarding others reports about the V6. But the recommended procedure for driving at specific speeds for specific lengths of time, then slowing repeatedly, did erase the P1336 code on that specific Camaro. That code did not return, as it had before. I was involved in reading the procedural steps and timing them while the owner drove the car. it took about 30-35 minutes overall while driving on a very sparsely populated secondary highway.

Comment

I think this thread is about P0336 on a V6 not P1336 on a V8.

You can't do crank learn on a V6 without a tester.

Read the Service Manual explanation of the process on a V6 and you'll understand why it can't be done on the street.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X