Removing A/C and heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing A/C and heating

Its been awhile since I've been on, was taking a break from doing anything to the car for but that hot rodding bug has bit me again and now I'm getting into weight reduction. I'm taking out the stuff I really don't need, haven't fixed, and haven't installed. First was the sub box that filled up the trunk, considering taking out the stereo system, and taking out the heater core and A/C as well now. A/C hasn't worked since I've had it, and the heater is already bypassed so I'm just going to take it all out. Now before I take out the compressor I just need to know what's the best way bypass that. Will I just need a shorter belt or will I need to change the pulley's in anyway? It is a 1998 Camaro with the 3.8. Also any other tips on what I could take out to lose some weight would be great too. Eventually I want to do what LetzRide has done with his.

Re: Removing A/C and heating

Originally posted by StingerZ26 View Post
    Its been awhile since I've been on, was taking a break from doing anything to the car for but that hot rodding bug has bit me again and now I'm getting into weight reduction. I'm taking out the stuff I really don't need, haven't fixed, and haven't installed. First was the sub box that filled up the trunk, considering taking out the stereo system, and taking out the heater core and A/C as well now. A/C hasn't worked since I've had it, and the heater is already bypassed so I'm just going to take it all out. Now before I take out the compressor I just need to know what's the best way bypass that. Will I just need a shorter belt or will I need to change the pulley's in anyway? It is a 1998 Camaro with the 3.8. Also any other tips on what I could take out to lose some weight would be great too. Eventually I want to do what LetzRide has done with his.

im not sure on the belt (been a while since ive played with a v6 now) but id imagine you can run a shorter belt or just get a A/C delete pulley.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
    http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
    Or this

Comment

you can just run a shorter belt. I forget the size though, you'd have to measure. You would delete the A/C pulley and the pulley above it

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

There's two that I know of... I run an 802 or 80 1/8" but I guess most people run a 610 or 60.5".

Comment

Anybody know the best way to get the hoses off from the compressor? Saw that bolt was in a tight place for a ratchet. What's the length of the factory belt btw? Is it 93.5"?

Comment

Theres a bolt that you can get a socket on and use a ext. to get the hoses off the compressor. Not too bad to get off.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

When a few of us did our AC delete, we changed our idler pulley with a ribbed one so the tensioner could still provide some decent pull on the belt. Otherwise, it's almost completely released. The guys at the auto store were good about helping me test and find a belt that fit before I bought it.

TEAM C6V6

Comment

That's why I didn't run the shorter of the two belts... mine wraps up tight, plenty of pressure on all pillows.

Comment

Had the compressor replaced a while back and now have engine vibration only at idle. I was looking at the compressor bracket and where it mounts to the block I have a slight fore and aft movement of the bracket. I checked the bolt. It's tight. Is this play normal? Thanks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                    Hello everyone!
                    by Andy H
                    Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                    4 weeks ago
                  • 3.4 slow to go
                    hey there strangers!
                    by 3.4 slow to go
                    been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                    4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X