Car purchase question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car purchase question

I am wanting a V8 now I saw a few options on craigs list and wanted to know what should I inspect when I look at these cars. One has 182,000 but he states there are no leaks on the engine or T-tops. I'm kinda scared but since I work for Parks Chevrolet now i'm going to have the cars pulled in and inspected but I want to know what are red flags to me now getting one of the vehicles? Should 182,000 scare me?

Re: Car purchase question

What kind of V8?

I can tell you that LS1 cars 97-04 the oil pressure should be around 40 psi @ idle and around 60 @ WOT. If its lower then this it could be a indication of something. anything below 20psi I would stay clear of.

Check the door sills for crack in the door panels by the windows and look for dimples in the rear 1/4 panels from the tq..

Dont be scared if its a LS1 car and when you 1st start it when the car is cold you hear what sounds like a lifter tap or knocking sound from the motor. This is normal in these motors. Its called piston slap and when the motor starts to warm up should go away. If it doesnt go away then its probably something bad in the motor.

Listen for the fuel pump when you turn the key to the on position. You should be able to hear it slightly but not to,to loud.. When my pump went out in my firebird it made a very high pitch sound when I 1st turned the key to the on position and after about 2 weeks of this sound it just gave out.

If it has long tube headers then check for rust on them and for scraping underneath. You could pull the rear wheels off and see if the fenders were rolled or if there is a heavy buildup of rubber in the upper part of the wheel well.
    Jeff ..
    1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
    2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
    1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
    http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

The price should reflect the mileage,no more than $5,000 with it that high.

I got mine 2 years ago with 120,000 on the clock unmodded for $6,200.

I have over 300 dragstrip passes on it since then and have gone 12.26 at 110 with just bolt ons and a TQ converter.

The LS1 is one tough engine they are just getting broken in at 100,000.

Comment

182k is just too high. You should shop around for lower miles than that. Those might be highway miles, but still. Who's the driver? If it's a young guy then chances are it's been beat upon.

Comment

thats alot of miles. motor shouldnt be an issue, id be more concerned with trans,suspension and **** being wore the hell out

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
          http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
          Or this

Comment

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
            thats alot of miles. motor shouldnt be an issue, id be more concerned with trans,suspension and **** being wore the hell out
            X2 thats alot of miles on the stock body.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X