Lucas Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lucas Question

Does lucas make the oil thicker, or leave the oil with the same viscosity? It is because I am using Lucas for my Lancer so I am thinking to use a thinner oil (currently I'm using 5W-20 according to the manual) The reason of this change is to save gas.
    Last edited by borispeed; 01-08-2013, 09:25 PM.
    Camaro99\'3.8, original spoil package (no body mods...PROUDLY), K&N, Lid 3800II, SLP CAI, Flowmaster, Z28Chrome Tips, 180* Thermostat.

Why are you using the Lucas? Did you say to save gas?

Lucas makes oil thicker. Using Lucas and switching to thinner oil gets you nothing. What's the point?

Lucas is normally used for an engine with a problem, and it works well for that purpose.

Comment

I may have misread the original post. If you are using Lucas due to an engine problem and you want to switch to a thinner oil to save gas then you will defeat the purpose of the Lucas.

I hope that makes sense.

Comment

Re: Lucas Question

What manual says to use 5/20?? Everything in mine says 10/30.

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post
          What manual says to use 5/20?? Everything in mine says 10/30.
          Its for his Lancer not a F-body.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            Its for his Lancer not a F-body.
            Reading never was my strong suit >.<

Comment

Definitely makes it thicker. Usually used to delay dealing with problems where oil starts seeping past seals / rings etc. If you're trying to decrease your oil thickness, do not use lucas. If you need lucas because of leaks, do not use thinner oil. Also I don't like the idea of running thinner oil to save on gas. You might save a little in the shortrun but when your engine craps out early I think you will have negated many of the gains as far as finances go.
              Last edited by MegaHertz; 01-09-2013, 06:01 PM.
              96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Thanks guys for your comments. I don't think the purpose of Lucas is only to fix problems, but to make the engine perform better. Using Lucas makes my Lancer run smoother and quieter, the same with my camaro, but I suspect that the Lancer might be wasting a little more gas cause of the thickness of the oil (mixed with Lucas). That's why I am thinking to use a lightly thinner oil like 0W-20 which is also recommended for these cars for fuel economy and more performance. The idea (I may be wrong) is to keep the Lucas properties of stabilizing the oil (running the car smoother and quieter), without wasting gas cause of the thickness of Lucas. After all, 0W-20 is lighty thinner than 5W-20. Remember that 4 cylinder cars are made to save gas. Like I said, I may be wrong in all this.
                Last edited by borispeed; 01-09-2013, 09:20 PM.
                Camaro99\'3.8, original spoil package (no body mods...PROUDLY), K&N, Lid 3800II, SLP CAI, Flowmaster, Z28Chrome Tips, 180* Thermostat.

Comment

I am a fan of Lucas products, but if your Lancer was not having engine or valve train issues, you really do not need to use it.

Comment

I use Lucas in both my Built motor Trans am and my 98 Vette. I used in in my older cars as well including my V6 firebird. The cars just seem to run better with a bottle of lucas stabalizer in it. I have never had an issue with any car while using lucas oil ( knock on wood).

My trans am sounded like a sewing machine with the LS1 valvetrain noise so thats why I started to use the lucas and it really helps with the sound and bumped my oil pressure up a bit as well. The Corvette is pretty much a stock LS1 but with adding Lucas to that motor with 77,000 miles it bumped the oil pressure up a bit but I also noticed a little better idle and gas miles.

The stuff works wonders. It gives me some peace of mind as well.
                    Jeff ..
                    1998 Firebird.. Built 3.8 with a 125 shot.. 370rwhp,415rwtq.. stock tune!! sold

2002 WS6 T/A.. Bolt ins..448rwhp
                    2009 G8 GT.. Vararam intake, GXP axleback
                    1998 Corvette.. Vararam intake, Ti axleback
                    http://www.fquick.com/slow-v6

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X