Motor oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor oil

This is more curiosity more than anything but what kind of motor oil do some of you usually use? I'm interested in some input about what would work better and some pros and cons of what to use. My car has just crossed the 157k mark and I have been using Valvoline Max Life pretty much since I've had it(3 years the 19th of this January) I was wondering if going to a synthetic oil would be beneficial to it or not. I've heard Amsoil is a good one and its something I have access to at my job. Any thoughts, personal experiences or links would be great!

Re: Motor oil

Royal Purple.

Comment

Amsoil

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Royal purple has a third party prove that there oil is better

When amsoil doesn't.

Not that I care, maybe you do.

I use royal purple oil with k&n filter. But in my truck I use amsoil. I get wholesale price now so probably all my cars are gonna get it.

But yes, for your car I would suggest a synthetic even though some of the high mileage ones or whatever are some what of a synthetic blend regardless.

Mobile1 is also a good oil.. But these are all also expensive. Are we're not all driving race cars with built motors.
        Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
        1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
        1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
        2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

I've ran Brad Penn oil in my Firebird the last 2 oil changes and am pleased with it. 5,000 miles when it's drained and it's still silky smooth.. Before that, Mobil1 full synthetic which i liked, and continue to run in my truck. Brad Penn oil is a little expensive as well, but I get wholesale pricing due to where I work.
          aka FreedStyle
          Chaddrich Freed

(1 of 443) 2002 SLP Firebird GT #107 (244rwhp/254rwtq naturally aspirated)
          2008 Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L 4x4

Comment

i was gana start using valvoline or royal purple 10w-30

Comment

Valvoline full synthetic 5w40

Comment

Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic :tup: I use this oil religiously and it works.

Why? Scroll down to my last post #306

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...g+high+mileage
                Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

Amsoil here too, switched from Royal Purple.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Conventional Quaker State 10w30 for me. I've been using it in all of my cars for over 20 years and have never had an engine failure.

Comment

Originally posted by letzride View Post
                      amsoil
                      x2 5w30

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

I've been using mobile 1 for a while now. Is asmoil / RP much more expensive? Seems to be the preference.
                        96 White M5 Camaro. Manual everything. Magnaflow cat, dynomax dual outlet axle back. Swapped to a disc rear with 3.42s and a torsen differential, kyb gr2 rear shocks, moog rear endlinks.

Comment

Its about the same as RP , Amsoil is alittle more but worth it.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I like Amsoil because you have a million choices based on what you want to use and how you use your car. They have their OE oil which is their basic synthetic oil and they have oils ranging right up to a full race oil. They also have oil for just about every machine imaginable that you own, ATV's, Snowmobiles, watercraft, compressors, etc.

There oil is a tad pricey if you buy at store cost, but if you buy wholesale it's much cheaper

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                            1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I use Castrol 5W30 only because I get it for 1.69 a qt at my job or free depending on the circumstances, leftovers, and its only until I get a new oil pan gasket, thats what Ive used for a year now. Then Im switching to AMSOIL. I know a guy that deals the entire DFW area.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X