Miss fire problem!!!!help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss fire problem!!!!help

okay so i have had a problem of my service engine light going off every once in a wile when in idling at a light and it is cylinder 3 misfire when i get it read but then it will go off for a wile till im at a stop light idling for a wile

just a little ago i was going down the road doing fine and went to take off and my car sounded like a go cart and felt like it had no power but i had to get home so i kept driving taking it easy then finely i was like f it and i took it up to 4000 rpm and it was like i hit a shot of nos it threw my head back and then it was running just right for about 5 miles then i was home

what could it be making it miss fire a plug a injector what could it be that is my problem.

Re: Miss fire problem!!!!help

just go and give her a tune up. could be as simple as a bad plug wire connection.. but i'd do plugs, wires, and fuel filter... if that doesn't fix it. could be a coil pack.

Comment

Are you throwing a code?

Comment

It throws the code for a miss fire on cylinder 3

Comment

check the injector plug, and see if the cyl 3 wire is touching, melted, or not well connected.
          Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by 3.8lcoty View Post
            It throws the code for a miss fire on cylinder 3
            I see. Chances are it's either your plug, wire, coil, or injector. Hopefully it's either plug or wire because those are easy to replace with coil or injector it takes a little bit of work. With coil you're going to take out the plug and check and see for proper spark while you run your engine. With injectors you could use an ohm to check if it's still conducting.

Comment

well today i whent out and felt down the whole spark plug wire and the coil is new it dosent have 10,000 miles on it and ill have to take the plug out and look today and see if maybe my gap is to wide or to small or if it has whent bad

Comment

just because a coil is newer doesnt mean it cant go bad. i had a brand new accell coil practically meltdown after maybe 1000 miles on my v6 years ago. **** happens.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                Or this

Comment

if the coil was bad wouldnt it throw the code for another cylinder also

Comment

Most likely.

The only situation I can think of where a bad coil would only set a misfire code on one of the two cylinders it fires is if the connection for the plug wire was faulty.

Check plug wire, plug, injector for that cylinder. If you find nothing, then run a compression test to see if you have a burned valve.

Comment

Not always, I just had to replace a coil for a misfire problem after I changed plugs and wires and still had an issue.
                      3M MAFIA
                      ________
                      | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                      Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                      sigpic

Comment

I checked the plug yesterday it looked fine but the gap was at .60 so i moved it to. 45

Comment

The gap is suppose to be .60.
                          3M MAFIA
                          ________
                          | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
                          Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
                          sigpic

Comment

bad coil or ICM

swap coils, see if the misfire follows.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X