window wobbles/vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• window wobbles/vibration

just replaced the driver side power window motor and now when it goes up or down, you feel a vibration and the glass wobbles a bit...i did have trouble tightening one of the screws in for the motor, do you think that could cause it to do this?

Re: window wobbles/vibration

That could certainly contribute to it. You want to be sure to get all the bolts tight to secure the window motor to the regulator. Otherwise the bolts can shear over time and wear and actually cause the coil in the regulator to suddenly release tension. When that happens, the window motor can violently spin and cause damage to the door and/or window glass.

Also check to make sure that the holes where the rivets mount the regulator to the inner door frame haven't chewed up the fiberglass. That can cause irregular window behavior and cause problems later on.

Edit: Forgot to mention... Be sure to check the rollers on the regulator to make sure they're all intact and not loose.
    Last edited by pace2006; 03-29-2012, 02:56 PM.
    '99 Camaro
    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

ok, ill try and check those things...it is a tad bit noisy however, louder than the previous motor..wondered if that had anything to do with it

Comment

overall it was a failure, i replaced the 4 big rivets that were moving when the motor was moving, however they were near impossible to punch out, ended up scratching my window tint, fiberglass got chewed up a bit, and to top it off, window still wobbles. i guess it's stuck that way, everythings tight now, I can't come up with an explanation for it. the old motor didn't wobble/vibrate.

Comment

Are the holes where the regulator mounts to the door worn out to where the rivets move when the motor moves?
          '99 Camaro
          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

yes they were so I replaced them with these nut/bolt combos that came with the motor. It doesn't move at all now however the window still wobbles. It didn't do this with the last motor so I've came to the obvious conclusion that the motors defective in some manner. it's dorman 742-101. says it's a direct fit to camaro/firebird applications.

Comment

I had the same issue on drivers side after the motor was replaced. There are
              guides near the top of the door..I replaced the one that had missing parts
              and the problem disappeared. The part was bought at the Chevy dealer
              and it is not cheap, about 19.99. Go to the parts dept and tell them your issue
              and they will give you the right part.

Comment

Dorman's the same brand windows I've been using. I haven't had any issues from them. I haven't had a window wobble while going up either, although the motor could be the culprit. Double check that the window guides are tight and not moving when the window goes up. Also check that the regulator roller bushings are moving the way they should. The tracks at the bottom of the window glass tend to collect dirt and might be causing the rollers to not move smoothly.
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

i guess some of the fiberglass could have gotten on the rolls, what should i clean them with so I don't mess with the grease on them

Comment

Just clean it out with whatever you have around (Windex, WD-40, etc) and apply new grease with your finger. The grease that is currently in there will have collected dirt and hardened by now.
                    '99 Camaro
                    '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                    '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

any kind of grease?

Comment

Whatever type of waterproof grease you have. Don't forget to put the plastic dust wrap back over it all.

I used white lithium grease that I had sitting around. Spread it throughout the tracks with your finger if you can.
                        '99 Camaro
                        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X