Can I use Dex-Cool on my 2.8 Bird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I use Dex-Cool on my 2.8 Bird?

I have an extra bottle and I know that this is meant for GM's aluminum radiators. I'm not sure what type of radiator my 2.8 Bird has.

Anyway, is it good and safe to use this on my 89 Bird? Thanks.

Re: Can I use Dex-Cool on my 2.8 Bird?

Nobody here will recommend using dex-cool. It was poorly designed. If you get bored sometime you should look up dex-cool mud.

Comment

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
      Nobody here will recommend using dex-cool.
      Hit the nail right on the head!
      Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
      Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
      Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
      Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
      Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Originally posted by techsan23 View Post
        Nobody here will recommend using dex-cool. It was poorly designed. If you get bored sometime you should look up dex-cool mud.

WRONG! I will.

Dex-cool has a far superior heat transfer coefficent than the "green stuff".

It is a "performance" coolant. Most people don't get that.

ONLY use the 50/50 pre-mix. IF you don't, DO NOT add tap water to the straight - ONLY distilled water. I have had NO issues.

http://www.getahelmet.com/jeeps/maint/dexcool/

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

So is it OK or safe to use this on my 89 Bird?

Comment

i agree with Robert,
            Dexcool is good stuff, i used it in several cars (and still use it with my Camaro) and had never any problems with it.
            I refresh it every two years, with the 50% mix, destilled water.

Sure, i have read the problems with Dexcool, but mostly it was a maintenance problem, 5 a 6 years or 100.000 miles is too long.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
              So is it OK or safe to use this on my 89 Bird?

Did you read my link?

"If your vehicle came with the inferior green stuff (propylene glycol), you must do a complete and thorough flush before switching to Dex-Cool.

Also make sure to stay away from 'organic based' rust inhibitor additives. They originated in Euro/Asian markets and are not compatible with Dex-Cool. These additives may cause gumming of the antifreeze. OEM style additives designed for use with the green antifreeze (propylene glycol) may reduce the durability of Dex-Cool.

If you started off with green, GM recommends switching to Dex-Cool in their technical service bulletins.

If you choose to continue using green, just check the alkalinity more often. Green will keep you protected thermally just as well as red."

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
                Did you read my link?

"If your vehicle came with the inferior green stuff (propylene glycol), you must do a complete and thorough flush before switching to Dex-Cool.

Also make sure to stay away from 'organic based' rust inhibitor additives. They originated in Euro/Asian markets and are not compatible with Dex-Cool. These additives may cause gumming of the antifreeze. OEM style additives designed for use with the green antifreeze (propylene glycol) may reduce the durability of Dex-Cool.

If you started off with green, GM recommends switching to Dex-Cool in their technical service bulletins.

If you choose to continue using green, just check the alkalinity more often. Green will keep you protected thermally just as well as red."

Oh, Ok. Thanks Robert.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X