Motor change 2001 Firebird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motor change 2001 Firebird

I have a question I have a 2001 Firebird and I need a new motor will any 3.8 series 2 work.. Like I have one from a grand prix will that work or does it need to be specific to firebird or camero please help

Re: Motor change 2001 Firebird

Originally posted by dja2006 View Post
    I have a question I have a 2001 Firebird and I need a new motor will any 3.8 series 2 work.. Like I have one from a grand prix will that work or does it need to be specific to firebird or camero please help
    You can use a series 3 as well.

If you use one from a FWD car you will need to change the lower intake manifold and up for it to work, as well as using your current power steering and A/C and oil pan.

I forget if the starter works from the FWD cars or not. But you can 100% use the block, and heads.

Comment

Won't be able to use grand prix heads since the injectors are in the heads, need to reuse the 3.8 heads in current motor along with the intakes too and what was also said about oil pan etc.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
        Won't be able to use grand prix heads since the injectors are in the heads, need to reuse the 3.8 heads in current motor along with the intakes too and what was also said about oil pan etc.
        Never checked, but, I know the S/C GTP engine has the injectors in the heads but are they in the NA GP GT heads also?

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by FirebirdGT View Post
          Never checked, but, I know the S/C GTP engine has the injectors in the heads but are they in the NA GP GT heads also?

True , I always think grad prix as supercharged but your right some are NA.
          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
            True , I always think grad prix as supercharged but your right some are NA.
            All the GP wrecks in the yard up here are NA. No GTP yet - been looking. :D

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

The s/c engine wont work, but the n/a version will. I have a 2008 series 3 in my firebird. When you do the swap you will have to use all of your accessories and intake and oil pan. Pretty much the only thing that swaps over is the valve covers.
              Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

I have an L26 in my car as well. N/A injectors are the same as ours in the LIM. The L67 and L32 injectors are in the head.

Comment

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
                  The s/c engine wont work, but the n/a version will. I have a 2008 series 3 in my firebird. When you do the swap you will have to use all of your accessories and intake and oil pan. Pretty much the only thing that swaps over is the valve covers.
                  pretty sure the s/c version will work...you just need to use your top end parts and you will have slightly lower compression. If he plans to boost the car later, its not a bad deal..

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                  1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Ok I have found a 1997 camero motor for 800 will this work I have been told that I have to change over the intake oil pan and pully system is this true or is it just a pull one and put this one in no change over needed ???????

Comment

the block is the same, I think the oil pan is also the same...its just easier to use your top end because the 97 is not DBW and you are.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
                      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Be absolutely sure the second engine does not leak or burn oil. I can tell you that you will be kicking yourself if you get a second bad engine.
                        http://www.jasperengines.com/jasper-...gasengines.php

This firm rebuilds engines and offers a 100K warranty.

Comment

I know seen paperwork that the motor was freshly rebuilt but I am going thu it very carefuly

Comment

Ok gotta pick your brains again I got thru motor that I picked up from a 1997 firebird everything seems good

Everything on my old motor is the same as this motor now my question do I have to tear down both the upper and lower intakes because the upper intake bolts right onto the existing lower intake on new motor It seems to me that the only thing that I have to change is the throttle body and upper intake

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X