What's that popping sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's that popping sound?

THis is concerning my 2.8 V6 Bird. I notice that there's popping sound what looks like it's coming from an IAT sensor.

This only happens when the when the engine is cold and I give it some gas and that popping sounds would come.

It would go away once I've warmed up the Bird really good.

BTW... I already changed that IAT so any clue what else could cause that?

Re: What's that popping sound?

The IAT as in the (Intake Air Temp) sensor?

Pull a plug and see what they look like. Mabey there fowled a bit and its misfiring.

Also have to ever touched the timing?? Or check it to see its ar or arround 10* base, remeber to unplug the EST wire when checking the timing. Its a little brownish wire that has a pig tail on it near the heater box, close to the passenger side valve cover.

Spray the crap outof the intake area and such with some carb cleaner and see if it has any vaccum leaks. Listen for a change in RPMs when doing this.
    Last edited by fasteddi; 03-04-2012, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fasteddi View Post
      The IAT as in the (Intake Air Temp) sensor?

Pull a plug and see what they look like. Mabey there fowled a bit and its misfiring.

Also have to ever touched the timing?? Or check it to see its ar or arround 10* base, remeber to unplug the EST wire when checking the timing. Its a little brownish wire that has a pig tail on it near the heater box, close to the passenger side valve cover.

Spray the crap outof the intake area and such with some carb cleaner and see if it has any vaccum leaks. Listen for a change in RPMs when doing this.
      Yes, the IAT sensor. Tomorrow I'm going to remove that and see if it will do it. Now that I think about it does seem more like a back fire.

I've never touched the timing and I really don't know how to check for timing on this car. I know it's a matter of adjusting or turning the distributor assembly itself, but I really have no way of knowing how much or less timing I would be giving it. As of now the rpm is at 600-650 when it's fully warm.

I will look the spark plugs too and see what they look like.

Thanks

Comment

Ok it just sounds like you dealing with a mis-fire or something, even look the plug wires over well, just to make sure that they never got messed up, or that they got melted a little and are arcing to any metal(grounds)

Try your best to hear if the misfire or backfire is coiming from the intake side or the exhaust side of the car...

Comment

Try your best to hear if the misfire or backfire is coiming from the intake side or the exhaust side of the car...
          It's definately coming from the intake side. Do you know what this could be related too?

Comment

Its sounds like its not firing correct. I would look into the ignition, like a bad wire or something. It almost sounds like the car is loading up in a cylinder and when it does spark right, the cylinder is so loaded up that it makes a pop when it lights off. Take all the plugs out, check them out, check the gap on them. And check each spark plug wire for any cracks or stuff like that.

If you dont wana lable the wires when you take them off, its easy to know the firing order. From the 7 oclock position on the dizzy the spark plug wires are #1,2,3,4,5,6. Clockwise from that stud on the cap. And the cylinders are numbered like this when your looking at the engine from the front bumper....

Dizzy
            5 6
            3 4
            1 2

Radiator
            Last edited by fasteddi; 03-06-2012, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Its sounds like its not firing correct. I would look into the ignition, like a bad wire or something. It almost sounds like the car is loading up in a cylinder and when it does spark right, the cylinder is so loaded up that it makes a pop when it lights off. Take all the plugs out, check them out, check the gap on them. And check each spark plug wire for any cracks or stuff like that.

If you dont wana lable the wires when you take them off, its easy to know the firing order. From the 7 oclock position on the dizzy the spark plug wires are #1,2,3,4,5,6. Clockwise from that stud on the cap. And the cylinders are numbered like this when your looking at the engine from the front bumper....

Dizzy
              5 6
              3 4
              1 2

Radiator
              Thanks, I'm going to look at the ignition more.

Comment

Ok cool, hope that helps.

Any codes being set off..the check engine light?? You know how to do that paper clip thing to see what code it is??? Its really easy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X