Possible Head Gasket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Head Gasket?

This is for my brothers 98 Camaro. The car has NO symptoms of a blown head gasket (overheating, huge coolant loss, oil/coolant mixing or white smoke out the exhaust). However, when I pressure test the cooling system it starts getting wet along the front edge of the passenger head at the head to block mating surface. Coolant then slowly drips off the back of the K member behind the AC compressor area. It’s a slow leak and only happens under pressure.

-Last winter I replaced the upper and lower intake gaskets, new water pump and gasket, new thermostat and gasket, AND yes both coolant elbows.

-Last weekend I then replaced the timing cover gasket and did another new gasket for the water pump.

I cannot figure out what could possibly be leaking besides the head gasket…but I’ve never seen a head gasket leak like this. Any ideas?

Re: Possible Head Gasket?

I had my head gasket leaking after new MLS gaskets and head studs, it wasn't leaking into the oil so I used Bars head gasket sealer that goes into the antifreeze and it worked like a champ. No more leaks.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
      I had my head gasket leaking after new MLS gaskets and head studs, it wasn't leaking into the oil so I used Bars head gasket sealer that goes into the antifreeze and it worked like a champ. No more leaks.
      I was considering this option but am not big on using those additives. However, this leak is driving me crazy and there doesn't seem to be any other explanation besides coolant seeping out from the front of the head gasket. I might as well try the Bars since my other option is pulling the head.

Comment

If it was leaking into the oil I was going to pull the head, but mine was seeping out from the drivers side front. The $30 Bars head gasket sealer worked perfect.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

If it was leaking into the oil I was going to pull the head, but mine was seeping out from the drivers side front. The $30 Bars head gasket sealer worked perfect.
          How long has the repair been holding up? I've read too many horror stories about these sealers causing damage like clogging radiators or heater cores so I'm a little hesitant. On the other hand I really don't feel like pulling the head, and that's going to be at least $250 in just parts.

Comment

I think its been about a month, getting ready to do a 3-4 hour drive this Sunday. It was pretty cool watching it clog up the spot where water was coming from, first time using any sealer so I was impressed just follow the directions on the bottle.

Comment

I always recommend for head bolts to be replaced too along with gasket. Bolts tend to stretch out over time and the Torque # you may have given it might not be effective anymore.

IMO I think you need to redo the whole thing again, with all new gasket and bolts.

Comment

I think its been about a month, getting ready to do a 3-4 hour drive this Sunday. It was pretty cool watching it clog up the spot where water was coming from, first time using any sealer so I was impressed just follow the directions on the bottle.
                I did some more research and am going to try the GM cooling system tabs instead. Same principal, but not harmful to the rest of your cooling system.

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                I always recommend for head bolts to be replaced too along with gasket. Bolts tend to stretch out over time and the Torque # you may have given it might not be effective anymore.

IMO I think you need to redo the whole thing again, with all new gasket and bolts.
                I have not changed the head gaskets yet, that is what I'm trying to avoid.

Comment

I would take a close look at the coolant elbows.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bigbrian442 View Post
                    I would take a close look at the coolant elbows.
                    And the tensioner assembly, I have seen them crack before.
                    Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
                    Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
                    Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
                    Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
                    Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

I'm with them. Also when you did the elbows did you make sure to get all the remnants of the old ones out of there. The lower intake one is the worse of the 2 from what I have seen. I have replaced mine twice in the 60k miles I have put on my car.

Comment

Yes I am 100% sure the elbows are not leaking and all remnants of the old elbows were cleaned out. When I pressure test the car the leak starts at the top corner of the passenger head where it meets the lower intake (unfortunately this is right behind the tensioner so I can't get a clear look at it). The leak then runs down along the front of the head, giving the appearance of the head gasket leaking. The good news is that I don't think the head gasket is actually blown, but possibly the lower intake gasket again.

For now I put a few of the GM cooling system tabs in and I haven't noticed it leaking in the last few days. I'll keep an eye on it and update the status.

Comment

Just wanted to update the thread. I put in 4 of the GM cooling system tabs a few weeks ago and it hasn't leaked a drop yet. It looks like those are a pretty good option for smaller leaks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X