What is normal engine oil temperature? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is normal engine oil temperature?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is normal engine oil temperature?

I installed a Autometer oil temp. gauge (I tapped the oil pressure sensor with a T-fitting) but was wondering if my gauge is reading right.

I hardly see the gauge moving past 180 degrees (only when I'm stuck in traffic) but during highway driving, it hardly gets into the 140 degree range. Am I getting an fairly accurate reading?

The oil pressure sensor is mounted fairly low on the engine and I'm guessing the wind hitting the sender might effect the temperature reading.

Any input / opinions would be appreciated.
    99 Camaro RS - 3.8L V6<br /><br />Modifications<br />Exhaust: Magnaflow OBD-II High-flow Catalytic converter / Magnaflow catback exhaust<br />Intake: Shaved Airlid / 3\" PVC tub<br />Suspension: V8 springs / DeCarbon shocks / 32mm 1LE swaybar / 19mm rear swaybar

Re: What is normal engine oil temperature?

I don't see why that would be wrong. I tend to change my oil while still hot and thin after a drive and I don't have to wait -too- long before I can do so without burning myself.

Comment

I think tapping directly into the oil pan would be more accurate. From an engineering perspective, having the sensor (thermistor or bulb) dangling way out on a t-connection, it would radiate quite a bit of the heat into the air, specially while moving and air is blowing over it. A t-connection wouldn't matter for pressure sensor, but it could for a temp sensor.

From a practical perspective, I have never toyed with engine oil sensor, but given you're own observations, I'd say somethings wacky.

Comment

I didn't want to tap my oil pan because it would involve me taking the pan off and taking it to a welder.

I'm thinking if wrapping the t-fitting and sender with heat insulation tape would get the gauge a bit more accurate.
        99 Camaro RS - 3.8L V6<br /><br />Modifications<br />Exhaust: Magnaflow OBD-II High-flow Catalytic converter / Magnaflow catback exhaust<br />Intake: Shaved Airlid / 3\" PVC tub<br />Suspension: V8 springs / DeCarbon shocks / 32mm 1LE swaybar / 19mm rear swaybar

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X