Vid: The sound my car is making.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vid: The sound my car is making.

I don't know whats causing this sound. I was thinking bad lifter though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_tQVZBf1fw

This is the sound I've been worried about for awhile now...

What does this sound like to you?
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Re: Vid: The sound my car is making.

Sounds like a exhaust leak to me , does it go away when stepping on the gas?
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
      Sounds like a exhaust leak to me , does it go away when stepping on the gas?
      No, it gets MUCH worse and knocks louder and faster - its Rev Dependent.

Comment

exhaust leak

Comment

Originally posted by thebeewantsboost View Post
          exhaust leak
          Is this also the reason my O2's are bad?

Comment

There is something else I need to mention. When this sound is strong - I have to baby the car as it will bog and "doesn't want to go" - it wont misfire or stumble but it feels like it wants to quit.

Also lately whenever I crank it, it will stumble for about a minute like its trying to find idle. Once it took about 6 tries to get it started so I'm worried there might be something more than an exhaust leak.

Comment

get the exhaust leak fixed. Hit up abbott racing ehads for some headers gaskets, might need to shave them a little to match the ports.

Comment

Just wondering, the sound disapears after 10 minutes. Would an exhaust leak do the same?

Comment

It's not an exhaust leak. Something is seriously wrong. My car is not wanting to start sometimes plus knocks the most upon crank regardless of the temperatures but when its warm it fades faster. When it cranks it has a VERY rough idle like its cammed to hell and wants to die.

Either way it doesnt matter. I just need it to hold out for 2 more weeks.

I've begun my LSX swap. I just purchased a 4L60E for $450 - Completely rebuilt - 1 year warranty.

Comment

My car sounds exactly the same .... Wondering if ur going to part out the engine?

Comment

have you pulled the valve covers off to look and see if a rocker arm is loose or something? there's no way thats just a exhaust leak or a bad lifter. ive been thru some lifters over the years and never heard one make that kind of noise.
                      Last edited by vanbibber; 01-26-2012, 05:34 PM.

current car- 95 Trans am- bolt ons, parked and collecting dust. why? because **** it

Follow me!
                      http://www.twitch.tv/optimusprymrib
                      Or this

Comment

Originally posted by syrus323 View Post
                        My car sounds exactly the same .... Wondering if ur going to part out the engine?
                        Was going to try to sell it whole because the shop isn't going to have room to hold the motor and pieces of it for very long. I have to think about it though because it does apparently have a problem.

Originally posted by vanbibber View Post
                        have you pulled the valve covers off to look and see if a rocker arm is loose or something? there's no way thats just a exhaust leak or a bad lifter. ive been thru some lifters over the years and never heard one make that kind of noise.
                        unfortunately no. I dont have the tools on hand to take off the cover... All my LSX work is ganna be done at my friends shop.

---------------

Update - There is something very wrong. I was coming from work today and it knocked for about 15 minutes. It was cold and the motor stayed cold for a long time too but eventually warmed up. Anyway I got on the freeway and a truck slams on his brakes infront of me and I had to take the left lane or eat trailer and nailed the gas - It bogs very hard at 3K RPMS almost like it hit some sort of a rev limiter and just suddenly wanted to quit and immediately bounced back to 2k RPMs and I lost speed too... going at a steady speed of 60 - 65 MPH it doesnt feel bad. When I try to accelerate from a dig while its knocking like this there's no real power...

Comment

Clearly not an exhaust leak. Broken rocker arm, bent push rod, bad lifter, worn cam lobe, bent valve, etc.....

Either way, you would need to tear into it to figure it out, and you already said that you are not going to do that because of the LS swap.

Looks like you need to baby it until that time.

Comment

I'm with NASCAR, it's valve train related. I would almost bet it's something simple like a pushrod stuck thru a rocker arm. Or a loose rocker arm. I would spent a little time and pull the valve covers, or find a friend that can help you. Fix it and drive it till you get the LSX ready to swap. Bad lifter wont sound that bad, but a pushrod or rocker will.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X