AC condenser and losing coolant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AC condenser and losing coolant

Does the coolant pass through the AC condenser? I'm losing a lot of coolant very quickly, even with the car just sitting off. I'm buying a new radiator, overflow tank, and radiator hoses.
    I'm wondering if I should go ahead and buy a new condenser too.

Re: AC condenser and losing coolant

Originally posted by enzia35 View Post
    Does the coolant pass through the AC condenser? I'm losing a lot of coolant very quickly, even with the car just sitting off. I'm buying a new radiator, overflow tank, and radiator hoses.
    I'm wondering if I should go ahead and buy a new condenser too.
    The AC and engine coolant are two seperate systems, so, no coolant won't pass through the AC condenser. The condenser sits in front of the radiator and is seperate. I assume you found a leak in the radiator? Hoses would be a good idea to change since you'll be there anyways, even if the old ones are fair. Are you sure it's the radiator? Have you located the leak? It might just be a loose hose clamp or stop ****.

Comment

Originally posted by landj View Post
      stop ****.
      really? stop ****? how about stopcock? Sheesh.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's the radiator. I have that, and new upper and lower hoses coming in. Also the coolant overflow tank, there's brown gunk in everything.
        Thanks for clearing that up landj.
        Last edited by enzia35; 01-17-2012, 05:47 PM.

Comment

According to my Haynes, on the 01 I have, the AC system needs to be evacuated to change out the radiator! Are they serious? It looks like I can remove the radiator from the top.

Comment

On my 96' the raidator comes out the top ,no messing with the A/C.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

The Haynes said on 98+ models, the condenser and radiator needs to be pulled as one. I sure hope not... I'm looking to change out the radiator, overflow tank, and hoses tomorrow.

Comment

Working on the stuff now, Haynes is a liar. I ordered the cu1485 radiator, and it has holes for the AT cooler. Do I need to plug these on my manual transmission car?

Comment

No need to plug them, only there for tranny fluid which you don't need.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Awesome, I checked around the net and confirmed it. Thanks SSMS.
                    I can't believe how thin the stock radiator is! I took some pictures and might post them up.

Comment

Done replacing everything, now when it's running, I can see coolant gushing from somewhere. Urgh...it's not anything I touched, it's on the block somewhere...dripping from the right side of the oil pan.
                      Last edited by enzia35; 01-22-2012, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Update...new radiator is great. Turned out the elbows had cracked again. Temperature stays at a constant 200 or so. Used to heat up to over 220.

Comment

I'm glad you got it figured out. It will probably still run 210 degrees which is operating temp. Fans stock come on at 220 degrees.

Comment

Driving in the 50 degree weather yesterday, I was reading a steady 175 on the highway, according to Scangauge.
                            :-)

Comment

Sounds about right.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X