Larger oil filter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larger oil filter?

I searched and searched but couldn't find the thread that had the part # for the larger oil filter for a 3.8, any one know off the top of their head what it is?

I just put a GM crate motor in my 2002 fire bird and would like the extra capacity.

Re: Larger oil filter?

AC-Delco PF-52
    Wix 51036
    Bosch 3430
    Mobil M1-201
    NAPA 1036
    Drivetrain Moderator - "There are no stupid questions, only stupid people!"

2001 Pewter Firebird Y87, M5
    Intake, exhaust, just about every suspension part, alum flywheel & ds, Turn One p/s pump and cooler

Go Sabres!

Comment

AC delco PF-52 is more common, Although I run a Amsoil one also which is on FirebirdGT's website for the part#.
      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
        AC delco PF-52 is more common, Although I run a Amsoil one also which is on FirebirdGT's website for the part#.

AMSOIL EaO23

Robert - owner www.FirebirdV6.com "Mid-life crisis? I'm way beyond that!"

1996 Black Firebird GTxxxRam Air V6 w/ M5xxxwww.FirebirdGT.com

Raven

Comment

Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the mobil filter.

Comment

More info. on the crate motor?

Comment

Back in the early 00s after I bought my 01, I bought five cases of UPF-52s because they fit not only the 3.8 in my Camaro but they, also were the OE size on the 4.3 in my Blazer. The UPF was, back then, a premium filter line ACDelco marketed for a while. All the UPFs were made by Champion. Typically, GM didn't market the UPF line very well so ACD discontinued it about 03 or 04.

I'm still using the UPFs I bought back then but, if I was to buy filters today, I'd buy the Mobil 1 equivalent of the PF-52, the M1-201.

I did some reasearch on filters last summer and, right now, the K&N and the Mobil 1 are the best oil filters on the market regardless of cost. A "close second" is the Wix.

Comment

Originally posted by Hib Halverson View Post
                I did some reasearch on filters last summer and, right now, the K&N and the Mobil 1 are the best oil filters on the market regardless of cost. A "close second" is the Wix.
                If you cut open a Mobil 1 and a AMSOIL Ea, the AMSOIL is clearly superior. That said, I used Mobil 1 filters until I could get the Ea locally. They are #1 and #2 in my book.

Raven

Comment

I use the long Wix with what ever synthetic is on sale:)

Mobil 1 only on the LS1.

Comment

Pennzoil plat or Ultra > Mobil... any day, just fyi.

And what's the point of a larger filter? Is it larger capacity or flow?

Comment

Originally posted by Docta View Post

Filtration
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Oil Filter Studies

http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=85383
                        Last edited by FirebirdGT; 01-05-2012, 06:06 PM.

Raven

Comment

Pennzoil plat or Ultra > Mobil
                          Where's your info?

Raven

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
                            More info. on the crate motor?
                            Not much to tell really, other than in my small *** garage it was a HUGE pain in the *** to change..lol

Heres my post from another thread.
                            Well I looked and looked for a low mileage used 3.8 but I ended up getting a GM crate motor, that was 2 grand I didn't want to spend. :(

The swap went pretty well considering I had to do it on the floor in my very small garage, I live in a home owners association so I couldn't do it in the drive way.

I didn't quite do it the classic way because my car barely fits in the garage.

There was no room for a cherry picker so I used a chainfall from the rafters.

I jacked the car up as high as my four jack stands would allow,I took out the transmission separately because I wasn't sure the rafters would support the tranny , engine, and subframe all at once.

I lowered the engine and subframe, then when I had them both down I lifted the engine off the subframe and pushed the subframe far enough forward to allow me to put the engine on the floor, once that was done I slid the engine out from under the car.

I then put the subframe back on the car so I could park it outside while I swapped the intake and accessories.

Comment

For my situation I was looking for capacity and more filtration.

I cut open the first filter I had on the new motor after about 100 miles and other than a few very small pieces of unexplainable red paint it was immaculate in there[very happy]

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X