Dremel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dremel

I've read that dremel disc is used to cut an access to the fuel pump. So I have maybe a stupid question, Is the disc used with a dremel machine, or by hand? Is there any specific dremel you recomend?
    Camaro99\'3.8, original spoil package (no body mods...PROUDLY), K&N, Lid 3800II, SLP CAI, Flowmaster, Z28Chrome Tips, 180* Thermostat.

Re: Dremel

Hey Boris,

The Dremel is a handheld device you use to cut away at the sheetmetal to access the fuel pump. I was a total novice when it came to my fuel pump strategy of attack that after the job was done this is probably the easiest to perform such a swap.

Along with the Dremel device, inside the case is a cutting disc kit that comes with different cutting discs and tiny Dremel tools. Those handy kits come in a white plastic box that resemble a fishing tackle box or you can buy discs separately like I did at Home Depot. The model I bought came with a box of assorted bits and tools. I wound up using 2 discs to cut through the sheetmetal.

This is the Dremel 300 Series the model I used. Go get it, it will make your fuel pump R&R easy. As always, wear safety glasses and have compressed air handy with a shop vac to vacuum up the metal shavings you may encounter. An electrical extension cord too if you're the outdoors backyard mechanic will help you much.

Since your question went unanswered for so long, I'll help you with pics. This Dremel is powerful enough with adjustable speeds up to 35,000 RPM so use the small wrench to lock down on the bits and grind away.

Last edited by 96RS Alex; 11-28-2011, 11:18 AM. Reason: Show & Tell
    Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

1996 Camaro, Steel tank and fuel line layout.

You can see the spent disc between the new disc and ruler. This cutting job was neat and very efficient versus dropping the rear axle and tank. Highly recommended.

Last edited by 96RS Alex; 11-28-2011, 11:35 AM.
      Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

:tup: Very cool information, Alex. Thanks. I'll get that tool!
        Camaro99\'3.8, original spoil package (no body mods...PROUDLY), K&N, Lid 3800II, SLP CAI, Flowmaster, Z28Chrome Tips, 180* Thermostat.

Comment

I have learned a lot of practical things, thank you!

Comment

Just remember that the access panel needs to be in a slightly different place on the 99-02 cars!
            <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
            Working...
            X