"Rebuilding" a '94?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Rebuilding" a '94?

My 1994 3.4L Camaro V6 has seen better days. Not that it's in a hideous state of disrepair, but I'd like to take the necessary steps that will keep it on the road.

Basically, I'd like to make it as "new" as possible and rebuild/replace major components... and yes, I'm open to an engine rebuild/replace. I've done some work on it before, but nothing this extensive, and I don't know where to start.

Any suggestions on where to start? and what parts should I pay special attention to?

Re: "Rebuilding" a '94?

Depends on whats wrong with it at the current time.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Make a list of importance. If you feel that the engine and transmission still have another 10k miles of life left, start with suspension. Front and rear control arm bushings, as well as a torque arm bushing would help, along with new gas shocks. I say those because that helps body roll, along with wheel hop.
      You could also possibly find a one piece drive shaft, save weight and having to replace the carrier bearing and middle set of u joints. While you have things apart, paint what you have removed, help out the looks a bit. Also you could fix any interior issues you may have. Coming out to a nice looking car really helps you want to take better care of it, and feeling like you have a nice car is presentation when you get inside of it.
      All the while purchasing everything you would need to rebuild the engine and saving for a transmission/differential rebuild. If you are going to rebuild the differential, possibly swap to a rear disc set up and add LSD out an F-body that came equipped. There are a lot of factory parts that you can use to replace what you have and end up on top. Keep looking for deals on craigslist and on here.

I love to see people restoring cars, instead of hacking them up. I made my car exactly like I wanted it using mostly factory parts. (exception exhaust, cam and the like)

*They call me Mr. 3000
      Last edited by flamingchicken; 11-26-2011, 09:26 PM.
      Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
        Depends on whats wrong with it at the current time.
        Nothing is 'wrong' with the car, aside from the near-20-year-old components.

Originally posted by flamingchicken View Post
        Make a list of importance. If you feel that the engine and transmission still have another 10k miles of life left, start with suspension. Front and rear control arm bushings, as well as a torque arm bushing would help, along with new gas shocks. I say those because that helps body roll, along with wheel hop.

You could also possibly find a one piece drive shaft, save weight and having to replace the carrier bearing and middle set of u joints. While you have things apart, paint what you have removed, help out the looks a bit. Also you could fix any interior issues you may have. Coming out to a nice looking car really helps you want to take better care of it, and feeling like you have a nice car is presentation when you get inside of it.

All the while purchasing everything you would need to rebuild the engine and saving for a transmission/differential rebuild. If you are going to rebuild the differential, possibly swap to a rear disc set up and add LSD out an F-body that came equipped. There are a lot of factory parts that you can use to replace what you have and end up on top. Keep looking for deals on craigslist and on here.
        I have changed out the rear end with one from a Firebird Formula carrying 3.42s and LSD. However, I'm curious whether or not it's worth checking out something with fewer miles on it - or brand new for that matter.

I've also swapped out for Eibach Sportline springs, Bilstein shocks, UMI LCAs and a one-piece aluminum driveshaft. Riding with an SLP cold air intake, but no engine mods. Added a Flowmaster 2.5" exhaust system too.

The engine has almost 200,000 miles on it. Seems to be running okay, but I can't really tell. I do know that I haven't had any major problems. I've been considering the "3800 conversion" and/or a complete rebuild to give it a little more pep. Other things on the wish list are ceramic headers, updated exhaust, hi-flo cat-converter and sway bars.

To be honest, I know a few of the things that I'd like, but I'm not sure what I really need to be looking at to make this rebuild worth my time/money: suspension-wise, engine-related, trans, etc...

I want it to be "like new" which means new parts when I can get them. At the same time, I'm not trying to "chop" it too much. Most things I'm okay with being stock replacements. I just want it to perform and last another 20+ years. I think I've got a decent grasp on things, but I don't want to go into this without hearing from people more experienced than me at this stuff.

Comment

X2 on the list.

I did this on 89 Bird. Made a list and check it off when I finish it. I like to work in and then out.

Comment

Have lots of $$$$$

Comment

List of stuff to do is a great start, since nothing is wrong maybe start on suspension or something like that. Maybe do engine tune up , tranny tune up , appearance, suspension, Interior but it will be expensive no doubt.
              08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
              96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Yeah it can be expensive, but that's what Junk Yards are all about.

Comment

The 3.4 crate motor is one of the cheapest motors out there. Before doing a rebuild, price all the parts and think about all the labor and machining that might be required. I had my crate delivered to my garage for just under 2K.
                  If you want more power then the 3400/3500 head swap is the way to go. Should be worth 40 to 50 HP. You could just freshen up your 3.4 bottom and put the 3400/3500 top on.:rock:

Comment

Do NOT swap a 3800 in. That would be the dumbest thing done on this site in a while, and there is plenty of dumb **** that happens here daily.
                    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X