Ugh - I cant decide on what to do with my Firebird - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ugh - I cant decide on what to do with my Firebird

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh - I cant decide on what to do with my Firebird

It has about 160,000 miles on it and I recently brought it back from the dead earlier this year but I've run into a new slew of problems. It has a very probable intake gasket leak. It eats METAL headlight gears every 2 months regardless of the age of the motor itself. Its knocking upon startup. I changed to Mobil 1 Synthetic oil again and this did help on the last problem a bit... but ever since I got the car, I've wanted more power as I am a former Z28 owner.

I can go ahead and turbo the motor as is but I am SUPER scared of the reliability factor.

I can motor swap but all the parts involved will be expensive, yet I am not really interested in buying another Z28, I wanted a project car.

----

I was THINKING of building a more turbo capable motor, or just snatching a motor from a GTP and putting all my accessories on it and replace all gaskets with stronger gaskets and proceed to turboing it. It would make me feel much safer about turbo'ing or forced induction in general as the motor would be built to withstand it. Im not so much afraid of the pistons going Kaboom on my current motor, but I AM afraid of the age of the gaskets and other internals such as bearings a lifters with the added stress in my current engine.

----

Building a BUILT turbo motor would actually cost much more than an LS1 swap... unless maybe I stole one from a GTP and just replaced gaskets which would probably cost about the same as an LSX swap...

but an LSX always seems mentally more reliable..and dont get me wrong, I do know guys here who have been running turbo's for years without trouble but I am not sure if I trust my current engine, MAINLY because I believe I have a bad intake gasket and lifter...with those there's no telling how many other hidden problems my motor might have.

----

The LSX swap leaves me feeling the safest BECAUSE it replaces everything and that means no bad gaskets, new suspension, new transmission, new everything... but it comes at a price...I currently live in an apartment and have nowere to do it - performance shops around here want $5k in labor alone... I could buy an entire Z28 for that - Its just I dont really want to start over with another F-Body, I love my Firebird, just want more out of it... and by more I want it to be as fast as or faster than my older stock Z28
    Last edited by Need4Camaro; 11-24-2011, 05:31 PM.
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Re: Ugh - I cant decide on what to do with my Firebird

In these "swap" situations there will Always be something that goes wrong,
    consider just getting a 2009-2011 Camaro. Don't throw good money after bad.

Comment

Originally posted by PalmHarbor View Post
      In these "swap" situations there will Always be something that goes wrong,
      consider just getting a 2009-2011 Camaro. Don't throw good money after bad.
      I was considering that but they're still a bit pricey. I dont want a V6 model 5th Gen and even though I am making a decent bit of money right now, I don't want to pay a car note or finance a car until I'm done paying my student loans off which will be atleast 3 years from now - plus I have other things credit related I am trying to fix so I can move in the future.

-- I can AFFORD a 2010 - 2011 but the problem is, I'll be maxed out an any slight slipup and especially with the economy being the way it is, will leave me very screwed.
      Last edited by Need4Camaro; 11-24-2011, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Buying a V8 car is always going to be the most headache free route.

Sometimes the headaches are enjoyable, though. If you do the work and get something out of it, maybe it is worth it for you to do the swap.

I'm planning an LSX swap eventually. Naturally, the reliability of any build is dependent on how extreme it is... My vote would be do the LS1 swap and make it a fun project.
        In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
        2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

Sell and buy an LS1 car. Srsly.

Sincerely,
          I swapped a f'n LS1 in my V6.
          <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Talk nice to me and I'll sell you a powerdyne'd bird with only 83200 miles. :P

Comment

Originally posted by dgreet77 View Post
              Talk nice to me and I'll sell you a powerdyne'd bird with only 83200 miles. :P
              I can't just have the kit? :P

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
                I can't just have the kit? :P
                Haha, that seems to be what everybody wants.

Comment

Originally posted by Bird_Of_Prey View Post
                  Sell and buy an LS1 car. Srsly.

Sincerely,
                  I swapped a f'n LS1 in my V6.
                  agreed.
                  Dave:
                  00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                  97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

^x87 sell car, but ls1. a 99-01 z28 with 75k-90k miles will go for 6-7k all day aorund here and on ls1tech.

I bought my 00z28, a4, t-tops, unmolested with just a catback and 54k miles for 7k.

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
                      ^x87 sell car, but ls1. a 99-01 z28 with 75k-90k miles will go for 6-7k all day aorund here and on ls1tech.

I bought my 00z28, a4, t-tops, unmolested with just a catback and 54k miles for 7k.
                      You got a excellent deal on your LS1.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Originally posted by ssms5411 View Post
                        You got a excellent deal on your LS1.
                        I did, but deals like that are starting to become easy to come by. Im thinking about picking up a 6speed next. The deals in ls1tech for an already built car are unreal. Its almost pointless to mod a car, because you can buy one already done for the same price as a stocker. HCI 6speed, t-tops, 85kmiles $7k. Not unheard of over there.

Comment

Back before I got my truck I looked at LS1's and Corvettes but I decided I have one sports car so a nice truck would be good for me, I spent 27K for the truck so I could of gotten a nice used Vette or LS1 F-body.
                          08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                          96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

You could have gotten yourself a very nice c6z06 or maybe a SS silverado or TB haha

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
                              You could have gotten yourself a very nice c6z06 or maybe a SS silverado or TB haha
                              Don't remind me , but the truck I got is pretty cool so I think I made a good choice.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X