Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct engines for swapping out...

Hello everyone,
    First of all, I have searched thru the posts for answers to this question... So please wait just a moment before you start banging on me for wasting space on the board...

Have a high miles '98 5spd. Have started keeping my eyes open (Ebay, classifieds, Fbody boneyard sites)for another 3.8. Are the late model N/A FWD 3800 seriesII engines even a suitable block and heads if a guy swapped out the intake, exhaust manifolds, the oil pan and whatever else needed changed out?

All of the posts on here pertain to people wanting to swap over old Grand Nationals 3.8s and newer supercharged 3.8s which is obvious won't work because of the plumbing being designed for a sideways placement.

Okay, it maybe a retarded question but this way I don't have to ask it to someones face! Let the flaming begin! [img]graemlins/stickpoke.gif[/img]

no, that is a good question. your concern is warented.

as you said you will need a bunch of stuff from your current engine setup if you were to get a L36 from a W body car. no big deal. it sounds like you are ready to swap out the parts. you would have to anyway if you pulled the motor and rebuilt it.

The block and heads from a W body L36 is just fine.
    You are aware of the obnious things (that need to be swapped) but double check and compare the two closely...i don't know if the harmonic dampner is the same...should be...but not sure.

If you tear thw W body motor down to block and heads with the other motor sitting beside it is will be obvious what you need to switch.

Suggest pulling and replacning all the 'freeze plugs' while the motor is out of car. depending on mileage of motor (more than 75K...) then think about putting in a new timing chain and dampner. Basicaly get the thing all freshened up while it is easy to work on.

g'luck
    01 Firebird A4 3.42
    Powerdyne @ 6 PSI
    and other mods
    Visit Project Unleashed for guides and info.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
    Working...
    X