WTF is going on with me heater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WTF is going on with me heater?

So this has happened a couple times, and never really thought to much about it untill tonight when I left work. The heater (has) sometimes, takes along time to blow hot air, even if the car is up to operating temp, I also noticed that I can keep my had in front of a vent and I can feel the air go from warm (not hot) to cool to warm to cool, ect ect ect. But after awhile it blows hot air just like it should. Could it be my t-stat is bad? or getting bad? Car is a 99 Camaro, if your wondering. Thanks guys!

EDIT: 1,000th post haha.
    3M MAFIA
    ________
    | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
    Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
    sigpic

Re: WTF is going on with me heater?

Normal operating conditions the hot water coming from the radiator is fed through the core and cooled as the blower motor sends the hot air inside your car. The slightly cooler water then flows out through the return line. So yeah you t-stat might need to be changed or worst your heater core.

Comment

Alright, Ill start with the t-stat. I really hope its not my heater core :(
      3M MAFIA
      ________
      sigpic

Comment

The heater core really isn't bad to change. Only takes about 30 mins, but its not the cheapest thing in the world.

Comment

Lots of dash panels to remove to replace the core. Look at rockauto.com for replacement.

Comment

1000th post LOL .
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

remember to check your coolant level mine was doing that too and i just needed coolant and now its nice and toasty inside all the time

Comment

Originally posted by firebird19_99 View Post
                remember to check your coolant level mine was doing that too and i just needed coolant and now its nice and toasty inside all the time

When it first starting doing that, that was the first thing I check, the coolant was a little low added some, but now its doing it again. Il check the coolant again, but I dont think thats it.
                3M MAFIA
                ________
                sigpic

Comment

Could flush the cooling system, that might remove the blockage from the heater core. I'd do that before buying a new one.
                  <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Good call, Ill try that first.
                    3M MAFIA
                    ________
                    sigpic

Comment

Ok, so Im pretty sure my t-stat needs replacing. The other day on my way into work I was sitting a stop light and my temp shot up from normal temp to about 220ish (and when I say shot up I mean it went up to 220 very quickly) sat there for a minute and went back down to normal temp all in about 4 to 5 minutes. So Thursday I have the day off from work I plan on getting a new 180 t-stat and replacing it, but I was wondering if I could use the black gasket maker stuff or if I should use the the one that comes with it? Thanks guys.
                      3M MAFIA
                      ________
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by SixShooter'00Camaro View Post
                        So Thursday I have the day off from work I plan on getting a new 180 t-stat and replacing it, but I was wondering if I could use the black gasket maker stuff or if I should use the the one that comes with it? Thanks guys.
                        Just use the one that comes with it and make sure the 2 both are evenly torque down.

Comment

huh, my 160 stat didn't come with a gasket, so liquid gasket will work fine, but if you've got one, use it.

Comment

Atrum, you can get it with or with out the gasket.
                            3M MAFIA
                            ________
                            sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X