Cold Start LOUD knocking sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Start LOUD knocking sound

I recently moved to Seattle WA from Atlanta GA so my car has never experienced true cold weather..Its November now and cold enough to ice my Windows by 11 pm..when I get off work. Well... When I crank my engine to leave early in the morning or late at night...Im greeted with a LOUD *CLOCKCLOCKCLOCKCLOCKCLOCK* sometimes it goes away within 2 or 3 seconds and other times it slowly fades away as the car reaches operating temperatures... Am I going to be looking at replacing the motor soon?
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Re: Cold Start LOUD knocking sound

Lifters are pretty common on these motors. Sorry to hear you moved to Atlanta.
    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

lifter or an exhaust leak that the cold brings out. My stock manifolds had a broken bolt and they would make a knock/tick sound until it warmed up
      auto, aluminum driveshaft, Fast Toys Ram Air, !air silencer, smoothed lid, Pacesetter shorties, 2 1/2" exhaust, !cat

New Time:
      15.11@91.14
      Team 3M Mafia

New Times coming soon

Comment

Sounds like cold thick oil taking a while to get circulating until it warms up and thins out a bit. Maybe try a lower weight oil since its far colder there than Atlanta.

Comment

Originally posted by Cool81z28 View Post
          Sounds like cold thick oil taking a while to get circulating until it warms up and thins out a bit. Maybe try a lower weight oil since its far colder there than Atlanta.
          +1 I was going to say this too. Check anti-freeze too.

I have a cousin who lives in Seatle WA and her van would make this noise during winter time when doing cold starts, but when she parks her van in the garage it wouldn't make that noise during cold starts.

Comment

It's called piston slap. These motors are notorious for it.

Comment

^even the 6ers?

Comment

Originally posted by 3.4grapeofwrath View Post
                +1

Just a slight ka-lunk at startup when the temps start dropping.
                '99 Camaro
                '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by Bird_Of_Prey View Post
                  Lifters are pretty common on these motors. Sorry to hear you moved to Atlanta.
                  moved OUT of Atlanta INTO Seattle WA, Atlanta's job market is currently horrible and for a city its size the infastructure is lacking. Things are going otherwise good in Seattle.

Originally posted by 3.4grapeofwrath View Post
                  I didn't know 3.8's had this problem too...

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
                  +1

Just a slight ka-lunk at startup when the temps start dropping.
                  Just wondering, if it is a LIFTER - It would NOT be a good idea to go Forced Induction? right?

But if it was Piston Slap, would it be okay? How would I really tell if its a lifter or piston slap?

Comment

It's not piston slap. 3.4grapeofwrath has no clue what he's talking about. What weight oil is in it right now. And it is never advisable to add a power adder to a questionable engine.
                    <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Funny since my lifters don't make any extra noise, but my car has made a light knock only when the engine first turns over and it's cold outside. Been this way for the past 15k miles. Oil levels have been solid with 10w30.
                      '99 Camaro
                      '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                      '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

my 3.8 NEVER knocked, nor have i heard of them knocking and having piston slap. This is all new to me.

Is it a knock, or a tick?

Comment

It's a knock. Sometimes a single "knock", other times two or three when it turns over. No tapping or deflated lifter noise waiting for oil pressure to increase. I've also heard it's fairly common in 3.8s.
                          Last edited by pace2006; 11-10-2011, 10:19 AM.
                          '99 Camaro
                          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

well. its definately a knock.
                            Oil 10W30 Conventional and I had to switch from synthetic to conventional for 2 oil changes because I now live in an apartment and the car sits on the side of a street and I cant justify paying 75 for a synthetic oil change.

Like I said before, this car hasnt really driven in severe cold weather asside from one snow storm in Atlanta but I dont think it knocked. It only happens at startup when its pretty cold out. as in below 40's cold

Comment

Take a video?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                                Hello everyone!
                                by Andy H
                                Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                                3 weeks ago
                              • 3.4 slow to go
                                hey there strangers!
                                by 3.4 slow to go
                                been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                                4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X