• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power loss at higher RPMs

You got taken at $250.

Comment

I was happy with it, I called everywhere and they were by far the cheapest. My mechanic only had the factory full cat instock and wouldn't be able to get a universal weld in until 3 days later. Cheapest price I got was $386 installed anywhere else. The factory was something over $600 installed. I paid $250 installed. If you get it cheaper installed correctly great job I am proud of you.
      2000 Firebird 3.8L 5 Speed, Whisper Lid (K&N), Magnalfow, Catco High Flow, Hurst Shifter, ZR1 Wheels, Eibach Springs, Bilstein HD Shocks, Adjustable Panhard Bar, EBC Red Stuff Pads, Power Slot Rotors

Comment

start with the code. start with the code. start with the code. start with the code. start with the code.

Comment

Yep, definatley the codes first. I was getting the typical P0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) code.
          2000 Firebird 3.8L 5 Speed, Whisper Lid (K&N), Magnalfow, Catco High Flow, Hurst Shifter, ZR1 Wheels, Eibach Springs, Bilstein HD Shocks, Adjustable Panhard Bar, EBC Red Stuff Pads, Power Slot Rotors

Comment

Is it reasonable for me to expect to take my car to the dealer and have them give me the code without charging me? I'd hate to go somewhere and pay for a diagnostic.

Comment

There's an oil change place down the street from me that gives me my codes completely free of charge, I'm sure you can find something similar.

Comment

Any autozone.
                <a href=\"http://www.fullthrottlev6.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.fullthrottlev6.com</a><br /><a href=\"http://www.chitownracing.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.chitownracing.com</a>

Comment

Pretty much any auto parts store will help you with checking your codes for free.

Comment

It was Advanced Auto parts that told me that nothing would show up on the scanner unless the code was still on. Two different employees told me that on two separate occasions. I'll check with my oil change place though.

Comment

If it's a clogged cat or bad fuel filter it wouldn't show on the scanner.

Comment

had same issue with my 01 v6 firebird, car wouldnt rev over 2500 rpm in park and 2000 rpm in gear. there was also a loud sound coming from under hood like a whining. i thought my starter was staying in contact with the flywheel. i finally got car on a lift and noticed the pasenger side exhaust manifold was turning cherry red with car revved up. decided it was the catalytic converter, took a sawzall and cut exhaust pipe in front of convrter and car immediately straightend up. so the catalytic converter can case a lot of problems... took vehicle to O'reilly auto parts before messing with the exhaust and had them scan it, they said there were no codes and that it wouldnt show any if the check engine light was not on. I watched the salesperson hook the scanner up and seen that it did not register any codes, it is not always the person using the scanner it can be a simple fix that doesnt register a code.

Comment

I'm gonna guess this is a problem with either fuel supply---fuel filter or the fuel pump pick-up sock--or a plugged cat.

As for the engine light coming on then going off, that might be lean exhaust or bad cat...or something else.

As for the scanner not showing anything unless the light is on...that means whomever is scanning is either using a crappy scanner which will not display history codes or the person using the scanner doesn't know how to get history codes.

When the light is on, a code is "current". If the light goes off, the code remains as a "history" code for the next 49 ign. cycles.

I'd go find a good scan tester and someone who knows how to use it. If the fuel filter hasn't been replaced in the last 3 yrs or 36,000 miles, replace it now. If you get under the car and the cat substrate is rattling, replace the cat.
                          Last edited by Hib Halverson; 12-07-2011, 09:52 PM. Reason: spelling.

Comment

coil packs, ICM, plugs, wires. Repalce em all (ngk tr55 for plugs) (i was getting 9* of KR in my car and throwing no misfire codes, cyl 1 and 4 were lighting up like xmas trees tho on hptuners and my interceptor gauge

Next i would check MAF (run with it unplugged, see if there is any difference, the MAP will make up for it)

Maybe 02sensors, clogged injectors, bad cat or FP, maybe fuel filter.

Comment

Not all scanners will bring up all codes. Any scanner, regardless of make unless its a factory tool, is only an interpretation of what the ECM actually has stored, so never put all your eggs into the "scanner said so" basket.

And it sounds to me like a cat issue, I've ran into something like this multiple times in the past years on various cars and the symptoms sounds like a good lead.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X