Camaro Homepage posts V6 project Pt. 5 - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camaro Homepage posts V6 project Pt. 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camaro Homepage posts V6 project Pt. 5

Part Five of the Camaro Homepage's "THRS" project was posted today.

Talking points:
    >Debunking the Single Row Timing Chain Durability Myth
    >How to Cool a Mod'ed 3.8
    >New S-pipe and Cat for 4.5-hp
    >Brake Service and Upgrade
    >Front Coilover conversion
    >Rear Trackbar Upgrade
    >Tuning with HPTuners
    >Dyno Test: 228 RWHP SAE-corrected and emissions legal
    >Installing a Clear Bra

Check it out!
    http://www.camarohomepage.com/project/part5.htm

Re: Camaro Homepage posts V6 project Pt. 5

awesome read. thanks for posting
    Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
    1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
    1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
    2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

I bought that mag that featured your Camaro 5 years ago I think and I've been impress.

I'm glad for you for putting the V6 out there. I live in S. Calif myself hopefully we'll get a chance to meet.
      Last edited by 2.8 Bird; 10-11-2011, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Hib, thanks for the post. This should even please some of those dissenters from before, including myself though I wasn't the vocal pitchfork and torch wielding type lol!

Good to see you're finally running HPTuners, it's a big leap over the handheld tuners.

I loved reading about the caliper rebuild, I'm probably in need of doing that at some point. Also loved seeing the coverage on the radiator stuff, I was driving home from work this evening running that over in my head today as it is one of my car's last weak points especially when it gets as hot as it does in the TX panhandle.

Those are GREAT numbers from the mods done. I did 196hp @ 5600 / 196tq @ 4600 with an unlocked stall with some extensive NA mods (street ported heads w/ cam, rockers, longtubes, etc). Sadly a good 1/4 mile track is too far away for me to happily drive to and from without any worries of breaking. We're in the process of having one opened up hopefully this coming year though, but by then my big 3800 stalled Auto should be out and sold to somebody else.

We'll see what numbers I put out whenever I finish my manual trans swap.

Last edited by WarShrike; 10-11-2011, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
          Hib, thanks for the post. This should even please some of those dissenters from before, including myself though I wasn't the vocal pitchfork and torch wielding type lol!

Good to see you're finally running HPTuners, it's a big leap over the handheld tuners.

I loved reading about the caliper rebuild, I'm probably in need of doing that at some point. Also loved seeing the coverage on the radiator stuff, I was driving home from work this evening running that over in my head today as it is one of my car's last weak points especially when it gets as hot as it does in the TX panhandle.

Those are GREAT numbers from the mods done. I did 196hp @ 5600 / 196tq @ 4600 with an unlocked stall with some extensive NA mods (street ported heads w/ cam, rockers, longtubes, etc). Sadly a good 1/4 mile track is too far away for me to happily drive to and from without any worries of breaking. We're in the process of having one opened up hopefully this coming year though, but by then my big 3800 stalled Auto should be out and sold to somebody else.

Yeah, I remember those haters too just because he did custom headers and his own tuning.

His engine is still stock besides the cam. Plus he passes Calif. Emission with his kind of mods. That's almost impossible to do.

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
            I'm glad to have won you over.:)
            Actually, I only used a handheld at the very beginning. It wasn't long before that was inadequate. From there on, Ron Zimmer did all cal work on the car, up until Part 5. Most of the time Ron used HPT and that's one reason I use it, too.
            I was through there about a month ago on a scouting trip for the 2014 Corvette Caravan and it was freakin' hot, dude. Either of those two radiators will probably help you.
            Those are GREAT numbers from the mods done.
            Thanks. I think there's more there while staying emissions legal. I'd love to find someone who makes a slightly larger throttle body and I tried to get Comp to do another, slightly more aggressive camshaft which would still idle good enough to pass emissions, but they weren't interested in the Internet version of the project.
            I did 196hp @ 5600 / 196tq @ 4600 with an unlocked stall with some extensive NA mods (street ported heads w/ cam, rockers, longtubes, etc). Sadly a good 1/4 mile track is too far away for me to happily drive to and from without any worries of breaking. We're in the process of having one opened up hopefully this coming year though, but by then my big 3800 stalled Auto should be out and sold to somebody else.

That oughta be worth some RWHP, but if you're a drag racer, it's hard to argue with the consistency you get with an automatic.

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
            Yeah, I remember those haters too just because he did custom headers and his own tuning.
            Sadly, Tom Dawson, who made my headers, died a couple years ago and his family closed the business. I'd have loved to get the two masters and the welding jigs but by the time I found out he died, all that stuff was gone.
            I'm glad for you for putting the V6 out there. I live in S. Calif myself hopefully we'll get a chance to meet.
            Right now, I'm in West Covina but I'm moving to Goleta in a month or so. Drop me a line at finspeed@netmotive.net
            Last edited by Hib Halverson; 10-20-2011, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hib Halverson View Post
              >How to Cool a Mod'ed 3.8
              Got a part number on that Fluidyne?
              Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
              Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
              Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
              Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
              Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Omg finally! I did not even have my Camaro when I first read that article, pages 1-4.

Comment

Originally posted by Pewter02Camaro View Post
                  Got a part number on that Fluidyne?
                  I don't have a PN but I'll try and find out. The part was new when I put it in and they didn't have a number for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hib Halverson View Post
                    I don't have a PN but I'll try and find out. The part was new when I put it in and they didn't have a number for it.
                    Thanks, I would kill to get my hands on one of those. Fluidyne make a killer product.
                    Daily: '02 Black Yukon Denali
                    Toy: '06 Torrid Red GTO
                    Gone: Powerdyned '02 Pewter Camaro
                    Gone: '07 Charcoal Yamaha R6
                    Gone: Ex-wife, lol

Comment

Do you have a tool that'll monitor the temps as opposed to using the dash gauge? If so, what temp do you get to?

Comment

^It's called hptuners. You can monitor engine coolant temps all the time as long as you have it hooked up.

Comment

Originally posted by enzia35 View Post
                          Do you have a tool that'll monitor the temps as opposed to using the dash gauge?
                          I do it one of two ways, either with a scan tester–I have a Bosch Mastertech in the shop but I keep on of those handy little Actron AutoScanners (PN CP9575) in the glove box–or by using HPTuners VCM Scan. If I'm just after ECT, the little Actron is easiest, but if I'm tuning, obviously I'm going to use VCM Scan. If I'm doing chassis dyno work but not tuning, I use the Bosch Mastertech because it displays more lines of data than the Actron.

If so, what temp do you get to?
                          With the FLUIDYNE radiator, a 180 'stat and my fan-on strategy modified a bit, my ECT is in the high 170s when cruising on the highway. On a hot day I'm in the 180s. In traffic on a hot day I'm in the high 190s.

With the other radiator I tested, the Spectra Premium from RockAuto, moving on the highway I see about the same temps but in traffic on a hot day it's in the 200s.

Comment

I use a Scangauge to monitor temps, and I'll see about 220 after an hour or so. Rad is definitely something I'll change in the future.

Comment

I learned something new today,thanks

I have been getting that coolant code since my 180 thermo and Spectra V8 rad install.

I tried bleeding the air,packing coolant,changing the temp sender and nothing worked.

I carry my OBD2 code reader to reset it on the fly.

Now I know why.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X