No announcement yet.

New Firebird owner Q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I dint know if this is the placebo effect going on here.,. But I have noticed that after a while of driving the car it gets worse at shifting into second. How can I actually troubleshoot this issue? And is it the TCC or TC solenoid? (Maybe its the same thing?) Also, how hard is it to do this procedure? Where can I purchase the needed item?

Sent from my Samsung Fascinate using Tapatalk.

Comment

Re: New Firebird owner Q

Before I sold my car I bought a shiftkit and a cheapo tcc solenoid from ebay. around 300$ total give or take, after a shop installed it all for me.

If you just wanna get the solenoid there only 20$ or so on ebay.

Though shiftkits usaully fix the issue alone and will make it funner to drive too. Depends what you wanna do.

I did both so I wouldnt have to worry about it.
      -Jarred '70 Pontiac LeMans | '89 Firebird Formula 350

Comment

Interesting. What exactly is it? Can you.give me some links please??

Thank you!!

Comment

The shiftkit I used:
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/TransGo-Shif...item4cfac20d9d

and a tcc solenoid:
          http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L60E-4T40E-...item35b3d6b855

that and the shop charged me 200$ to install all of it so about 300$ if you take it to the right shop and do some shopping.

Comment

Be advised that this 3.8 is very vulnerable to self distruction if the car overheats.
            Be very careful.

Comment

Originally posted by PalmHarbor View Post
              Be advised that this 3.8 is very vulnerable to self distruction if the car overheats.
              Be very careful.
              Any engine can be subject to problems after overheating. I have yet to see evidence of the 3.8 being especially vulnerable to destruction after experiencing higher than normal operating temps. Iron block (and iron heads in this case) tend to be more forgiving.
              '99 Camaro
              '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
              '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

I never said my car was overheated either. o.o

Comment

Didn't even post about this. Ha. But I think that's what I am going to do. But probably install it myself(with my fathers help).

Comment

In my case it was the actual valve that needed to be replaced. What it is is a cylinder in a bore, with a spring. The bore becomes worn, causing fluid to leak past the cylinder. To fix it they drill the bore, put a sleeve in it and then put a new cylinder in it. That's to fix the actual valve itself.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/has-...it-196802.html
                    Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

I see. So how do I determine which it is? Would I need to remove the Tranny (autocorrect totally changed that to granny haha) and crack it open and check the tolerance?

Thanks!

Comment

Flaming chicken probably had something similar to me. i have a little leak which is more then likely my tcc valve and its given me a hardshift as well. pretty sure the transmission is on its way down, but im just going to have it rebuilt with a shift kit and torque converter and such
                        Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
                        1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
                        1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
                        2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Interesting. I am eventually going to get a new TC and hardened output shaft etc but need to get finances straight first.

Comment

Mine went for about a year after I noticed the hard shifting before I had legit problems. I even dropped the trans pan and changed the filter to check to see if that would remedy the problem prior to figuring it out (or having it figured out for me.) At that time the little magnet in the pan didn't have that much material on it, and the fluid itself didnt look too bad. I would say as long as you aren't driving long distances and letting it get to the point that it starts to slip, you should be fine for a couple months.

As far as checking the tolerances, I am not sure. I just have a long history with this problem so I learned a ton about it.
                            Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

So for $20 I might as well just change the solenoid while I do the kit, yes?

Comment

I would. They're very problematic... I'd get a shiftkit too if you can spare the coin. That solves the p1870 code for good.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X