Firebird Headlight Motor - Inverting the Wires for the motor. - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firebird Headlight Motor - Inverting the Wires for the motor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebird Headlight Motor - Inverting the Wires for the motor.

I was sent the wrong motors for my Firebird - I needed one for the driverside and one for the passenger side. I got TWO driverside motors instead and I destroyed the passenger side motor while removing it so I cant re-use it. Its going to take about a week for the new motor to get here and I will need my car for that period of time.

I reversed the gears so it would atleast fit, however; here's whats happening.

When I turn the headlights ON, the passenger side motor goes to the DOWN position and Drivers side comes UP. If I turn them OFF then the passenger side motor goes UP and drivers side goes DOWN.

What will happen if I invert the positive and negative wires on the passenger side headlight motor? (Positive to Negative / Negative to Positive) - will it work? or will I start a fire?
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Re: Firebird Headlight Motor - Inverting the Wires for the motor.

That's interesting. Have you inverted them then?

That's just a straight plug in.

Comment

what do you mean by reversed the gears? and did you cut any of the wiring?

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
        That's interesting. Have you inverted them then?

That's just a straight plug in.
        Originally posted by firebird19_99 View Post
        what do you mean by reversed the gears? and did you cut any of the wiring?
        What I did was, I took one of them, opened the gear casing and reversed the gear so that the rod with the threading that connects to the arm would be facing the opposite direction (backward) so it would be facing the correct way for the passenger side.

I inverted the gears, but not the wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
          What I did was, I took one of them, opened the gear casing and reversed the gear so that the rod with the threading that connects to the arm would be facing the opposite direction (backward) so it would be facing the correct way for the passenger side.

I inverted the gears, but not the wiring.
          Just do the opposite then.

Comment

Originally posted by 2.8 Bird View Post
            Just do the opposite then.
            I inverted the gear because that was necessary for it to fit...but I will do the Wiring tomorrow when Autozone opens and I can get my hands on some wire cutters and tape for a temp fix until I can sauter / heat shrink later.

Comment

It turns out the arm was installed wrong. Reinstalled the arm and now it rises and lowers correctly but now my headlight on the passenger side wont come on.... nor will the bright light...driverside still works fine...what gives?

Comment

I fixxed it, as stupid as it sounds, I thought the connectors were connected into the headlights but they were dangling just outside the prongs. Everything works fine now.

Comment

That must have looked pretty funny with one light going up and the other down. You should have shot us a video.
                  2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Bell View Post
                    That must have looked pretty funny with one light going up and the other down. You should have shot us a video.
                    wasnt quite the comedian when it happened - I had everything torn apart - old motor was broken - and I needed my car for the next week to get too / from work and it takes that long for a new headlight motor to arrive.

Comment

Thats what mine did before, also. It was like the polarity got switched just from unplugging it. I have to get a new gear for one now but has anyone had a problem when they disassembled the electrical portion of the motor? I reassembled the electrical portion of the motor and hooked it up to the plug and it runs fine. Is there anything special you have to do besides install gear then reinstall? Know where to get brushes for the motor? Thanks.

Update: I have had to motor assembled every possible way and I still get one up and one down. Anyone had this problem?
                      Last edited by fishin; 10-24-2011, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Need4Camaro View Post
                        It turns out the arm was installed wrong. Reinstalled the arm and now it rises and lowers correctly but now my headlight on the passenger side wont come on.... nor will the bright light...driverside still works fine...what gives?
                        How was the arm installed wrong? I think thats my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by fishin View Post
                          How was the arm installed wrong? I think thats my problem.
                          Basically the arm was installed on the wrong side of the buffer tabs... it needs to be installed so the bottom of the arm is BELOW the lower ((Raised up position)) buffer tab and not ABOVE it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• Andy H
                            Hello everyone!
                            by Andy H
                            Its been a while since I've been on the forum. Hope everyone is doing well. I still have my camaro! Unfortunately, the slave cylinder and clutch has went...
                            3 weeks ago
                          • 3.4 slow to go
                            hey there strangers!
                            by 3.4 slow to go
                            been a while but looks like i'm back in the game thanks to my brother. he went and bought an'02 bird, and since i'm a technician at the nissan place...
                            4 weeks ago

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X