Boiling noise+oil in coolant.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boiling noise+oil in coolant.

This afternoon the car was on idle for some five minutes and the temperatute gauge was raising up. I checked under hood and I heard some boiling noise and I turned off the engine. After some hours I checked the radiator and it was low in coolant, and the reservoir was over the level. The radiator looks clean.

Last week I flushed the coolant system because there was some oil (it looked like that), and the radiator was loosing coolant (no traces of coolant in the oil). I added the yellow-green coolant and drove the car some minutes without a problem. I did this only to clean the radiator while I take the car with somebody who can fix it. I've been told that it is a cracked cylinder head.

My question is if the boiling noise is due to a faulty thermostat, or it is because of the problem the car has had.
    Camaro99\'3.8, original spoil package (no body mods...PROUDLY), K&N, Lid 3800II, SLP CAI, Flowmaster, Z28Chrome Tips, 180* Thermostat.

Re: Boiling noise+oil in coolant.

If it's a faulty Thermostat then check the top part of your hose and the bottom. If top part is getting hot and the bottom part is cool then yes, that's the problem. The boiling noise you might be hearing might be coming from the reservoir.

Comment

You might have air in the lines still. Make sure you bled the air out of the system.

Comment

Originally posted by borispeed View Post
        This afternoon the car was on idle for some five minutes and the temperatute gauge was raising up. I checked under hood and I heard some boiling noise and I turned off the engine. After some hours I checked the radiator and it was low in coolant, and the reservoir was over the level. The radiator looks clean.

Last week I flushed the coolant system because there was some oil (it looked like that), and the radiator was loosing coolant (no traces of coolant in the oil). I added the yellow-green coolant and drove the car some minutes without a problem. I did this only to clean the radiator while I take the car with somebody who can fix it. I've been told that it is a cracked cylinder head.

My question is if the boiling noise is due to a faulty thermostat, or it is because of the problem the car has had.
        the noise you are hearing is the noise a car makes when it is over heated. You may want to take the radiator cap off while it is cols and start the car let it reach operation temperature then make sure the water level is where it needs to be. If you do not feel comfy about doing this them please seek a mechanic who knows how to burp a cooling system

Comment

I added some coolant this morning, and tried again. Again the gauge temp raised up, but this time I did not allowed the boiling. The radiator feels cold and the upper hose feel hard. If the thermostat allows the coolant to pass, then the coolant in the return hose should heat the radiator at least a little. Am I right?
          Camaro99\'3.8, original spoil package (no body mods...PROUDLY), K&N, Lid 3800II, SLP CAI, Flowmaster, Z28Chrome Tips, 180* Thermostat.

Comment

Originally posted by WarShrike View Post
            You might have air in the lines still. Make sure you bled the air out of the system.

X2, bled it until the water is coming out the bleeder, even then you might have to bleed it somemore.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

It's fixed, it was the thermostat. Unfortunately I did not find a 160 one, so I got 180. The car is working OK now. Anyway, I need to have the car checked about that oil in the coolant. Thank you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by borispeed View Post
                It's fixed, it was the thermostat. Unfortunately I did not find a 160 one, so I got 180. The car is working OK now. Anyway, I need to have the car checked about that oil in the coolant. Thank you guys.
                Glad you fixed it. Your better off with 180* because you would want your car's engine to warm up in order to run proper air and fuel- in other words you get better mileage.

I have 160* stat, but that's because of my SC.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X