1998 V6 A4, 139,000 miles...should I buy? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1998 V6 A4, 139,000 miles...should I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 V6 A4, 139,000 miles...should I buy?

OK, here's the story.

The camaro bug has bitten me again, and now that I'm newly single, I figure I might try to find one. Only issue is I don't have a lot of money to spend.

My current car, 2002 Grand AM GT, has 89,000 miles and has been dead reliable. What should I be looking for, caution wise, on this 1998 camaro? A4, 139,000 miles. Is that too many miles to buy and expect reliability?

FWIW...I used to be a gen tech mod here :p But it's been a LONG time, and I've never dealt with an F-body with this many miles. Any insight would be appreciated.
    2011 Camaro LS 6M, in black.

Re: 1998 V6 A4, 139,000 miles...should I buy?

whats the price?
    sigpic

Comment

It depends on what's been done. From what I've noticed stuff starts wearing out fast at about 110k I've had to replace basically everything but the engine in the last 15k, and now my fuel gauge won't get off full.

Comment

First thing I would do is check for antifreeze mud. If the antifreeze has never been changed out it could potentially have cooling problems.

Comment

They were asking 5600 for it I believe. I'm going to pass on it though. Salesman was a douche anyway... But it had the 3.08 gears, sub box in the back (which I don't have the time to get out and get rid of) what appeared to be mildew/water damage on the passenger side headliner from what was most likely T Top leakage, and a lot of peeling on the interior trim. One of the T Tops was missing the key lock too.

Comment

yea id pass. you can find something like that for around 3500 here.
            Dave:
            00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
            97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

I pass that up for sure. You can find something way nicer for the same price or a little more. Seeing on how it was not taken care of (water damage, no ttop lock, interior peeling) the motor my be a ticking bomb.
              3M MAFIA
              ________
              | Dynomax Catback | Auburn Posi | 3:42s | B&M Ripper | DIY CAI | PVC Mod |
              Next on the list: GT2 Cam| 105# Springs |Headwork| Headers |
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by navyblue2000 View Post
                OK, here's the story.

The camaro bug has bitten me again, and now that I'm newly single, I figure I might try to find one. Only issue is I don't have a lot of money to spend.

My current car, 2002 Grand AM GT, has 89,000 miles and has been dead reliable. What should I be looking for, caution wise, on this 1998 camaro? A4, 139,000 miles. Is that too many miles to buy and expect reliability?

FWIW...I used to be a gen tech mod here :p But it's been a LONG time, and I've never dealt with an F-body with this many miles. Any insight would be appreciated.
                Drew my boy, WHERE the **** have you been hiding?
                1995 Pontiac Firebird
                2008 Chevrolet Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4

Comment

For what's it worth I am the second owner of a 99' with the 3800 Series II. I have 140K on mine (bought it for $6000(??) with 80K about 4 years ago, from a woman). The AC finally died last summer. The starter died a couple months back. Had a coil or two go bad, along with the IM, about a year ago. Fuel injecter and MAF sensor died about two years ago (injector was my fault, I ran it on near empty tank...). Fuel pump died last week (again, probably mostly my fault). It leaks (barely) some oil. And the passenger window regulator is shot (like that when I bought it). Otherwise that is about it for the big stuff. Not too bad for 140K and 12 years old IMO. It runs like a champ and I get 26 mpg in it. I replaced most of the items above by myself, and the parts are easy to find. Now I'd like a V8 one though, so I'm thinking about selling it. I was gonna ask around $3500, so for the one you described, $5600 is a total ripoff IMO! Good call to walk away.

Comment

My God! My LS1 M6 was $4K! Granted it was a few more miles; was in damn near perfect shape. I dont see how any, maybe a few, decade old base model cars could be worth that much...
                    Last edited by nimrod.sixty9; 08-31-2011, 05:15 PM.
                    sigpic
                    98 Camaro 3.8 M5 Y87 | 99 Camaro LS1 Z28 T56

Comment

That car is wayyyyyy overpriced. A car in the condition you described with that mileage is probably worth like $2000-$3000. I've bought 3 of these before, and here are the prices:

Yr Purchased - Car info
                      2005 - 1994 Camaro 89k - $2700
                      2008 - 1994 Firebird 129k - $1700 (rough condition, better than what you were saying though)
                      2010 - 2000 Firebird 52k - $5500 + 1 1994 Firebird w/143k ($7000 ask)

Comment

Originally posted by Mogobs30th View Post
                        Drew my boy, WHERE the **** have you been hiding?
                        Everywhere but here. Ugh. Actually I've been a shadow of myself in the internets. Just too much going on, between school, another kid being born, divorce, trying to sell the house...yuck

Comment

id pass too, i bought my 01 for 5200 in mint condition, inside and out looks awesome. 100k miles on it. You can find a better deal. I looked for almost 3 years before I got mine, the right one will come along

Comment

Originally posted by nimrod.sixty9 View Post
                            My God! My LS1 M6 was $4K! Granted it was a few more miles; was in damn near perfect shape. I dont see how any, maybe a few, decade old base model cars could be worth that much...
                            Originally posted by insidethreat07 View Post
                            id pass too, i bought my 01 for 5200 in mint condition, inside and out looks awesome. 100k miles on it. You can find a better deal. I looked for almost 3 years before I got mine, the right one will come along
                            I need patience too, but need to replace a daily driver soon...
                            bump from what to look for stiky;

Long time gone, but back iaw I hope to buy another F-body...
                            1. loved my M5 catfish and it still runs strong, but a DC commute makes me consider a '99 automatic. Gen 4 ATs very robust in normal driving? ad;
                            (1999 Camaro
                            V6 Automatic 168K miles 1 family owner
                            T-Tops Remote Start Alarm. new duals for install
                            Minor passenger side damage (blue car in photos)
                            Asking $1,995 OBO)
                            2. cars with this high of mileage are when I usually sell... is everyone's hi-mile birds and maros still fun to own vs not too high maint? PO seemed on top of it...
                            3. thought of checking out Stealth/3000s, BMW3s, and other makes since Ive owned so many, but 4th gens are one of my few past I'd want again. I think...
                            4. as always, tks for any input or advise. i recall what to watch for re int gaskets, window mtrs etc., but wondered how theyve aged since my '98 stick. tks''

Comment

When you look at these also check:

- Oil pan - often develop leaks via rusting right through the wall

- Gas Tank - if its a metal tank, seam weld is prone to rust leaking in northern climates

- Bushings / Tie Rods up front - hard to tell if the car is on the ground, but tie rods could be getting towards dangerous at those mileages depending on how it was driven / maintained

- Upper Ball Joints - at least give the front wheels a hard shove on top with your foot to check the ball joints are worn out

- Lifter noise - you can hear it clearly if its bad

- Gas / Brake Lines - OEM lines rust real hard in northern climates, another thing with a life in years rather than miles, check em out, good negotiating point to talk your price down a few hundred bucks

- If you're looking at a 93-95 beware of the split shaft. its garbage, carrier bearing at the split is prone to wear / failure

Lastly watch out for sh**ty mods. I can't even tell you the number of f-cars ive looked at thatve had some kind of nonsense mod that doesnt do anything but be a PITA when its time to be removed.

These are issues i've had through 3 f-cars so i hope it helps. Good luck.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X