Car is shaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car is shaking

My car all of a sudden has started shaking while driving. The shifter was shaking around alot so I figured it was the tranny mount. The mount was torn so I changed it. It still shaking.

It does seem to change frequency with speed. All of the wheels are on tight, the engine runs fine, I don't feel it in the steering wheel, and I don't hear any odd noises.

Its definitely in the drivetrain because the tranny is shaking the shifter around.

Any ideas of what could possibly cause this. Would a bad motor mount or u-joint cause this? I won't be able to get back under the car until next week to check things and I want to make sure its safe to drive.

I'd hate to drop a drive shaft or lose a wheel on the highway. If anyone has had this problem or can give me any insight I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
    Last edited by Cool81z28; 08-26-2011, 04:06 PM.

Re: Car is shaking

I was going to say Vaccum leak , but if the cars running fine and you have a new trans mount, I would say engine mount.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

check u joints or maybe a bad drive shaft

Comment

Sometimes improper balance on the wheels can do that. But you mentioned mounts. Check all mounts engine and tranny and more sure they are tight.

Comment

does it shake during idle or parked? If so, you can get jack the car up to see what is moving/hitting.
          1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
          1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
          1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
          2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

I'm starting to think its just a wheel out of balance. Its odd that It started all of a sudden. It was fine until I pulled into a gas station to fill up and then after I pull out the shaking started. I think I must of lost a wheel weight. Not sure if losing a wheel weight would cause this much shaking though?

My best guess is a rear wheel since I don't feel it in the steering but really feel it coming from the tranny. I have an old bubble balancer in the garage. I've never used it and not sure how accurate they are but I'll give it a shot.

Comment

Sounds like wheel weights, I had a similar experience. driving on the highway all of a sudden the car started shaking like crazy. This was a week after the entire wheel flew off of my rx7 it felt like that so I freaked out and pulled off to the shoulder to check as much as I could. Some how 3 of the 4 wheel weights were missing. New tires next day + new weights = fixed.

Comment

Finally got under the car and looked around. It turns out the belt in my left rear tire broke. Nearly 1/4 of the tire on the inside half had collapsed into a big flat spot. I didn't see it earlier because the outside of the tire looks normal.

Odd considering it happened suddenly, I hadn't hit anything it and the tires are only 2 years old with good tread.

Comment

what brand?

Comment

Its a Kumho Ecsta AST.

Comment

Originally posted by Cool81z28 View Post
                      Its a Kumho Ecsta AST.

I'm surpirsed their normally a good tire.
                      08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                      96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X