Fuel pump died, not paying $1,110 to fix it... Help! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel pump died, not paying $1,110 to fix it... Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump died, not paying $1,110 to fix it... Help!

So my fuel pump died the other day. Mechanic wants $1100 (pump and labor) to drop the tank and install a new GM OEM fuel pump that costs $650. He said he will only install the GM pump. I'm thinking I might just cut an access door in my trunk like I've seen others do? Any advice? And what pump should I get? A Delphi for ~$200 on EBAY, or a kit to just replace the pump itself and re-use the housing? One last question, how dangerous is cutting that door? Mechanic said I could "blow myself up" - scare tactics to make me use him? Thanks guys!! :rock:

Re: Fuel pump died, not paying $1,110 to fix it... Help!

I cut my access door last year when i was 16 LOL, if i didnt kill myself im pretty sure you wont do any harm.. Its pretty simple just follow the steps in the sticky...

Comment

I cut one in my 94 a couple of years ago. Got a pump from Car Quest was about $200. No problems yet. And if I ever need to change it again, the access panel is already there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed2011 View Post
        I cut my access door last year when i was 16 LOL, if i didnt kill myself im pretty sure you wont do any harm.. Its pretty simple just follow the steps in the sticky...
        Sweet, there's a sticky on this!? I'm new to this site and I can't find it... Would you mind posting the link to it for me? Thanks!

Has anyone bought the rebuild kit and just replaced the actual pump itself? I'm also looking at a complete Delphi pump online for around $200. Any suggestions?

Comment

Guides like this can be found in the "How To" section on the board. I'd recommend using the search function next time.

How To: Fuel Pump Access Trap Door

My suggestion would be to go with either a Racetronix, Granatelli, or Walbro fuel pump, depending what year your car is. Any would be cheaper than the factory one or parts store equivalent.
          '99 Camaro
          '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
          '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

I would just get a Walbro 255 for around $100 and cut the back hatch.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

walboro for sure.

If you're a 99+ go with the racetronix pump, its a walboro, just modified a little.

Comment

Here is the one I was looking at:
                http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_W0QQ...KQ3aMEWAXQ3aIT

I figure for $60 it is worth it to just drop this in and go?

Comment

Dudes. I am the EBAY master. I just scored a AC Delco complete fuel pump system new in the box for $148 shipped. :banana:

Comment

I did mine very easily (walbro 255). I had to cut up the bucket because I didn't get a racetronix kit, but it was easy. You just have to watch out for car year when cutting (steel vs plastic tank, there is some difference about where to cut). I wouldn't have got the AC Delco though, what's the point, limited pump. Unless you're planning on keeping your car mild/stock. Though u can always easily swap it through the access hatch.
                    sigpic

Comment

My gas hand is trpping basically its off like if I put 5 bucks in the tank it will shoot past the F... what's wrong and can I use this trap door to get in and fix the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Big_G View Post
                        Dudes. I am the EBAY master. I just scored a AC Delco complete fuel pump system new in the box for $148 shipped. :banana:
                        Well, you'll be replacing the whole assembly. I went with the Walbro 255. Cutting an access panel is pretty simple. Just becareful with the dremel.

Comment

Just adding few pics to clarify this procedure. It took me two Dremel discs to cut the trap door properly. My link if you want to see how I progressed through it.
                          Go to page 2 for details. http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread.php?t=99565

For a 1996 Camaro. Here are your measurements as if you are standing behind your vehicle.

[URL="

After cutting, make a longer wide notch ( that little rectangular notch in pic ) where the fuel lines disappear AWAY from the tank and towards the fuel filter assy. You'll be fighting the fuel disconnects as I found out later. The last pic shows where I'm pointing the tiny screwdriver at.
                          [URL=""]
                          [URL=""]

Glad you scored an AC Delco unit for a bargain!

$1,110 ? NOT !
                          Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

well for future if any one needs a fuel pump for a 99-02 v6 Ive got the complete assembly with less than 1000 miles $100 plus shipping.

Comment

http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...PM-001&eq=&Tp=

Good deal here too $110 for the entire module.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X