Car died twice while driving.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car died twice while driving.

Since owning this car in late 07 the ONLY time the car has ever died on me was when the fuel pump died. Otherwise the car has been reliable.

Keep in mind we had a pretty big storm roll through the area while this all happened and I did hit a large puddle or two so water could have got anywere underneith the engine bay.

The issue is were the car begins losing power then just dies and I seen "Check Gadges light". Then trying to start it up is a ****:rant:

It starts up and drives fine. However after a few miles down the road it dies again and then I was almost convinced I was going to have to call the tow company to come get me but then it fired up again. White smoke came out the back. Probably from the rain.

The guy who fixed my intrepid was at the house and him and I looked at it briefly and its not knocking at all nor no smoke is coming out the back.

My only guess is it could be a knock sensor or possibly my intake could have got some water in it since its shaped like an Intestine were the cone sticks out the bottom of the radiator but it does not look forward towards the road. A blown Head Gasket is another one that comes to mind but I didn't see smoke all over the place and it was raining very hard the second time it died and I started and saw the smoke. I fired it right up to move it back into the driveway and I had no problems at all.

Note it does have a oil pan leak. I don't know it this could also be causing this.

Has anyone else experienced this and solved the problem? Is it going to be extremely pricey to fix? I'm planning on doing a road test in the morning when the weather is clear and the traffic is at church.

Re: Car died twice while driving.

i experienced something similar before. Car would start then id drive it a bit and it would start hesitating and misfiring before the check gauges light came on and the car stalled. I drove through a deep puddle the night before. Second time its happened to me. The first time i had to replace the etc so i had to replace the whole throttle body and this past time all i had to do was change the spark plugs and she ran fine again.

Comment

Damn this sucks. Nobody has an answer!

Comment

What gauge is reading low/high when the Check Gauges light comes on? Any SES lights or codes to be read?
        '99 Camaro
        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Originally posted by pace2006 View Post
          What gauge is reading low/high when the Check Gauges light comes on? Any SES lights or codes to be read?

The second time the car died the SES lights did come on but nothing. I'm thinking about taking it down to Autozone today to see if they can run the codes for me and see if anything comes out.

Comment

X2, can't really take a guess without SES code.
            08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
            96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

No codes were found.

BUT

We did notice a huge disturbance in the 02 Sensors and the car is running very rich so thats my guess and ill have that replaced. Anyone know were I can get a decent set of sensors? I really don't wanna pay $67 each!:(

Comment

Getgmparts.com they will have Delphi O2 sensors for around $40 a piece I think it is.
                08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Rock Auto + 5% discount code should be cheaper than most local parts stores. If you can wait for it to come in the mail.
                  '99 Camaro
                  '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                  '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

Rock Auto + 5% discount code should be cheaper than most local parts stores. If you can wait for it to come in the mail.

Sure Ill wait. :)

As long as I'm not paying the $67 dollars a pop price.

Which ones will I need? :stp:

He said something about downstream and upstream like near the cats. I looked on the site and there's a bunch of them.

Comment

I have a spare post cat sensor since I run a simulator... lemme know if you want it.

Comment

O2 sensor near the cat won't affect performance. It will just pop an SES code saying that the catalyst efficiency is low or something like that.

I can't remember which sensor you would need off the top of my head. Denso or AC Delco a few of the only brands I'd go with though. Don't get Bosch.
                        '99 Camaro
                        '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
                        '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

This exact thing happened to me with my last Camaro. It was something to do with the ignition column. As a quick fix the guy who I used Gerry rigged a switch in to the acc wires. So I had to switch this on to light the dash up then use the key to start it. Never died after this though as long as the switch was on.

Comment

there are many things that could be causing this to stall, do you have a fuel pressure tester? even thought you have had it replaced you may have a defective one, next a camshaft position sensor or crankshaft position going bad can make the car stall at any time for no particualr reason and many times it will start back up then die again. how many miles are on the car bad plug wires can make the car miss and stall when they get wet do you still have the stock plug wires on the car maybe you should do a tune up. Usually O2 sensors wont make your car stall or hard to start the PCM doesnt use o2 Data to start the car. There are many other things that can cause hard start stalling but these are the easiet to diag/ replace with out a scanner to stream data and other test equipment

Comment

The car has been driving fine all I can think of is my downstream sensor is going but then again it died while it was raining very heavy that night I mean there was damn near a flood outside when it happened. My stupid @$$ should have went home before the storm hit but no I wanted to storm chase!

I also ran some other tests and my car is running very rich. I also have some leaks to but I'm not sure if that will cause the car to stall like it did that night. Valve cover leaks, intake and such.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X