Random misfire (P0300)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random misfire (P0300)

On my way home today my 2000 camaro started running rough. I don't think it is running on all cylinders. It has no power at all. I'm getting P0300 code. I have to work tonight so I didn't get to do alot of troubleshooting. I did pull the plug wires off of the coil packs and check the resistance. I got the same reading on all 3 coil packs (6,600 ohms). BTW these are the original coil packs (110,000 miles). The plugs and plugs wires are fairly new. Also the cat converter is pretty new. It is a magnaflow converter. I checked the fuel pressure with a gauge and got 43psi with the key on engine off and 42psi with the engine idling.

That's all I got to check before I had to go to work. Luckily I just got the brake lines replaced on my truck so I can drive it to work. Anyway, I just wanted to see what ideas you all have as far as troubleshooting this problem. It will probably be Tuesday before I get to do alot of troubleshooting on it. So what do you all think?

Thanks!
    Andy
    2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5
    Flowmaster 80 series muffler, B&M ripper shifter, SLP grille

Re: Random misfire (P0300)

You said you check the coils but how about the ICM, also check the fuel injectors because it will have a random misfire if one isn't working. Might check your other sensors on the TB also.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

No I didnt get to check the icm or injectors. How exactly do I check the icm?
      2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5

Comment

Same way as the coils for ICM, injectors should have a ohm reading from 10-20 ohms, but they still could be clogged and you wouldn't know it unless it actually throws a code for that injector. I had a bad injector that took me a year to finally find it.good luck
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

As for the ICM, you'd probably have to pull it and take it to a parts store and get it tested.
          2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

I took the icm and coil packs to advance auto and they said they could'nt test them. Here's what I did today. Since this is not intermittent, I decided to unplug the plug wires at the coil packs one at a time and start the engine. I figured if I unplugged a wire and the miss got worse then that coil would be good. The miss got worse everytime untill I got all the way to the coil pack that fires cylinders 1 and 4. When I unplugged the wires from this coil pack, the rough idle was the same as when the wires are plugged up. So, I figured bad coil pack. I bought a new and put it on and the idle was still rough! So I thought I may have fouled the plugs so I put some different plugs in cylinders 1 and 4. They rough idle was still there (the same). I visually inspected the plugs wires and they look great. I don't know what to think now!

On a side note, The original acdelco plugs 41-921 that came factory. I had 85,000 miles on them when I changed them. I replaced them with 41-101 plugs. When I pulled the 41-101 plugs (they have 35,000 miles on them) They looked aweful bad shape. My original plugs with 85,000 miles that I saved look much better. I am going to replaced all the plugs again. I need to know what plugs to buy because I can't get 41-921 anymore. I guess they have been discontinued.
            2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5

Comment

Did you ever verify the ICM was good? I had this problem a while back. Turned out I had a bad coil pack, a bad ICM, and a bad injector all around the same time. No wonder nothing I tried seemed to fix it...

Comment

It turned out to be the icm. I went ahead and put some new 41-101 iridium plugs in too. Thanks to everyone for their help!
                2000 Camaro 3.8 v6 M5

Comment

fricken ICM and coil packs on these cars are ridiculous.

glad you figured it out

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X