High Performance plug gaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Performance plug gaps

I got some NGK iridium's in the car right now at 0.055 gap (I think TR55's)...anyways I'm not exactly liking them that much...seems to me the car may have a slight misfire at higher rpms....it just seems that above 4000rpm or so if you let off the throttle you hear alot of unburned gas popping away in the exhaust

High rpm underload doesnt sound the greatest either...plus my afr's have plummeted from being 12.3x at WOT to about 11.5ish at WOT....I'm thinking this has to do with the plugs.

I remember when I first got the cam in I just threw in some crappy copper plugs gapped at the factory 0.060 and it did not like it...I regapped them to about 0.055 and the car ran much better.

Anyways, my question is...can I gap my plugs to 0.045 or 0.035 N/A and be ok? Is there any negative to doing this? I'm leaning more towards the side-effects of potentially causing KR? or increased cylinder temps that could damage something?

I'm wondering if the higher cylinder pressure (9:9:1 CR and cam) are just too much for a 0.055 gap?

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
    1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Re: High Performance plug gaps

id run tr6s then regap from there if needed.

Comment

I've read that those plugs don't build enough heat to clean themselves N/A...I'm probably going to go to a copper plug from ac delco and gap it to 0.045 in the morning when I get in from work.

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

I've been running TR6's N/A for along time without problems but I might go TR55's gaped at .055 after the new headers go on and see about doing Auto-X.
        08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
        96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X