Car starts - blows lots of smoke out exhaust - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Car starts - blows lots of smoke out exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car starts - blows lots of smoke out exhaust

So I rebuilt the top end because the coolant was mixing with the oil due to a blown IM gasket. I even took off the heads and replaced the gasket just in case. Researched a ton to make sure I did everything properly. I've run the engine for about 15-20 minutes at idle and it is still blowing lots of white smoke out the exhaust. So much that even with the garage door open it fills up the garage to the point that it gets hard to see. Healthy. Anyways, is this normal and will it go away?

Re: Car starts - blows lots of smoke out exhaust

i would let it run for a good hour or so and watch it the entire time to ensure the engine sounds fine.

how are your fulid levels? are you losing any?
    WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

Yea let it run a good bit. It may just be burning off any extra water that got stuck in some odd places. Mine did that for about a few weeks after my head gasket blew. You can drive it.. and hopefully it goes away eventually. (from my experience)
      Dave:
      00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
      97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

I sure hope it goes away. I don't have time to do it all again right now. Originally when I was having the coolant leak, I checked the oil and clear water ran out for a good minute before I got any oil. I had replaced the dexcool a time or two and was putting water in instead. The water wasn't mixing with the oil because I was running synthetic. However, after the rebuild I put cheap oil in there because I was planning on removing it after a couple hundred miles. I drained a little from the pan this morning and checked it and it looks like chocolate milk. I am going to go ahead and fire up the engine and let it run for 5 minutes, then drain all the oil and put fresh in. Then I'll run it another 20-30 minutes and drain some from the pan again and see what it looks like. I SURE hope this is residual.
        Last edited by Inverted; 08-18-2011, 10:10 AM.

Comment

mine blew the head gaskets and mixed everything...and the car scared me like that when i started it up...but once i drove it down the road a couple of times it cleared out.....WHEWWW!!!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
          Working...
          X