Ignition control module issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition control module issues

I have had trouble with my car dying off on me while on the road. I have noticed that after about 3-7 days of setting, the cae will start back. I removed one coil from the module and got the blade to register about one volt. Took the other coils off and pulled the module out a little and the wires moved around and all the blades registered 11-12 volts. I was just thinkin it could maybe be wires getting hot and maybe be broken and expanding. Ill post some more when home on laptop. What u guys think i cpuld check. Already changed crank sensor

Re: Ignition control module issues

When I have had ignition modules go they did not totally die, but rather would make the car sputter when under load. This would happen mostly when the engine was at operating temperature. The tach would also jump all over the place. You can pull it out and get it tested at Advance Auto and probably other places. I would suggest (1) check the plugs and wires, and if good, then (2) take the module and coils in to have them tested.

Are you sure it's not a fuel system issue? Have you checked?
    2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

i have not tested fuel system. almost sure its not that because the fuel pump all ways primes and sounds good. i have checked the icm and it has said 1 volt, then i move all the wires around and it registered 11 volts, enough to make it start and run. i got the icm checked at autozone today and it is good. we powered it about 15 times to heat it up, so im going to trace all the wiring down and see if there is any damage to any of the wires.
      the wire from the crank sensor has been cut into, and is kinda frayed and exposed, so i was thinking that wire could be getting hot and expanding the wires away from each other, and not being able to carry the load maybe? not sure, im gonna check out all the wiring tho,

Comment

Definitely check for and fix any weird issues, all wiring should be clean, tight and well insulated. It could be one thing or a combination of things contributing to the problem. That crank sensor wire could be the problem, just because it's frayed. It could be intermittently cutting out and it could have breaks inside the insulation that cut the signal when it moves.
        2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
        Working...
        X