Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member with 3800 problems

Hello,
    My name is David and I am new here. Hello to everyone, and forgive me in advance if I make some errors on where to post, and what.
    I have a 96 camaro with some kind of problem, and I thought I would check if there was something simple I should look for right off. It has been running fine with no issues. Just driving it down the road the other morning and it died. Didn't sputter or anything just quit. It happed right after getting on the highway, and setting the cruise control. Like I said the car has been running fine. It did get a new fuel pump a couple months back and has had a fair amount of miles put on since then. Over all the car has about 125000 on it. So no lights came on, no sputtering or anything just quit after setting cruise control. Any advice would be appreciated.
    David
    Last edited by nighthawk; 08-12-2011, 10:59 AM. Reason: misspelled word

Re: New member with 3800 problems

Sounds like maybe a fuel injector, but I would check the coils, and your sensors to be on the safe side. I would see if it will do it again and see if it will throw a code.
    08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
    96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Check your battery and alternator. Recently had a similar issue with my mother's bonneville w/ a 3800II. I was driving, everything was normal then it just quit. Turned out the alternator was having an intermittent failure and it was drawing down the battery until it was flat.

Comment

could be antitheft system if the key wire broke.
        does it start now?

could be a shorted fuel injector
        they may work again when they cool off
        check the resistance is within 10% of each other

I also had a broken timing chain key on my 1990
        the chain stuck in the damper and broke the key
        symptom was no spark. i used a spark tester

you can try starting fluid to check for fuel problem
        or check the fuel pressure with a guage.

If the alternator dies you can see the voltage guage drop
        before the car dies. the horn/lights will also not work.

Comment

my car just died at the stop lights awhile back...everything was running smooth and great...turns out it was the ICM pack...kills all spark in the car so you'll just shut down with no warning/lights

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
          1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Have you been able to restart the car? If not, pull a spark plug wire and crank it and test for spark. If you are getting spark then it's probably fuel-related. You'll need a fuel pressure gauge, and see if there is pressure. The new pump may be faulty or was installed incorrectly. Sometimes the tube inside the tank falls off if not clamped tight enough. When my pump died I was just cruising down the highway and suddenly it stopped running and would not start.
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Crank position sensor. But hard to diagnose over the internet lol.

Comment

Thanks for all your input. I was gone all weekend so I am just seeing posts. I did not post that the car did not, and will not restart. The battery has plenty of crank power so that is not dead. I can hear the fuel pump running, and cycling which from my experience it does when it gets done pressurizing the fuel line. I have not had a chance to pull a plug to see if it has spark, or putting any ether in it to see if it is a fuel problem. I did check all fuses to make sure the computer and ignition had power to it. I will try to get at some testing this week. My ford diesel did this same thing once and it turned out to be crank position sensor, thinking that is possible. I have had coils fail on other vehicles in the past, and usually the car still ran, just missed on cylinders.
                Thanks again for all the input.
                David

Comment

I would def. check your ICM and coils.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

Update,
                    So I tried the crank positioning sensor as it was a cheap idea, and easy to change. The car seemed like it wanted to start which is more than I had. Run for a couple seconds, then nothing. It seems like it would only do this if I waited for the security light to go off (maybe just coinsodence) Anyway before I put the air cleaner back on thinking maybe that was keeping it from running screwing up the maf sensor I sprayed starting fluid in and it fired right up and ran off the fluid till it was gone. Like I think I stated in the original message this did have a new fuel pump put in earlier this year like Jan. Is it possible that new pump is trash, or maybe taking the tank off stirred up some sediment and plugged the filter? It has a 1/2 tank of fuel so that aint it. I don't have alot of fancy tools to test stuff but what I am telling you is what I got. It is actually my son-in-laws car, does anyone want to buy it lol!

Comment

If the security light is on it will kill the fuel supply. If the security light is shutting off though I wouldnt think it was the problem. Might want to start researching about the body control module.

Comment

Depending on how comfortable you feel doing this, unplug the fuel lines at the fuel rail and try turning the key to ON and seeing if you are getting fuel. If you are, I would try the ICM next.
                        Dave:
                        00 Supercharged Camaro - RIP
                        97 Turbo Camaro - Sold

Comment

You could try turning the key to the on position without cranking the car. Let it sit like that for a few minutes then try and crank it. If the car cranks up then dies after a short time you most likely have low fuel pressure.

Comment

You have 3,800 problems? Sounds like a lemon!
                            1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Comment

It sounds more like ICM and or Coil. I would go with that. Do the ICM first though. It's cheaper.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X