Water leaking in passenger footwell (not coolant) - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water leaking in passenger footwell (not coolant)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water leaking in passenger footwell (not coolant)

Hi all. It appears that I'm getting large pools of water forming in the passenger footwell. First I thought heater matrix, but it isn't coolant. It must be rainwater. Was raining really heavy today and when I got in the car the pool was larger than ever. Can't seem to see any water coming in from the window seals and I'm at a loss as to how it's happening.

Anyone else experienced this before?

Peter.

Re: Water leaking in passenger footwell (not coolant)

Find the fix on a Grand Prix forum or something, it's probably the same problem

Comment

its the rubber seal that is in your firewall...you're wires go through a little grommet into the engine bay...its out or damaged...I have the same problem and Im still trying to figure out how to fix it...

2002 SOM Z28 Camaro - 12.9 @ 104 mph
      1996 3800 Camaro - 13.43 @ 100.77 mph

Project Cars | How To Guides | Scratch Repair | Synthetic Oil

Comment

Would that let the water in when the car is stationary? How is the water channeled through the gromet? I'll have to check it out when it stops raining. Damn English weather. :(

Comment

With my last car I had the same problem and it was the windshield seal that was leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by LETZRIDE View Post
            its the rubber seal that is in your firewall...you're wires go through a little grommet into the engine bay...its out or damaged...I have the same problem and Im still trying to figure out how to fix it...
            I've partially dislodged this gromet to get my power wire through to the amp in the back. Actually did that on 3 4th gens so far, never had a water leakage issue. Is there a larger one somewhere else over there?

pbryant_knight, I'd recommend pulling back the carpet in your puddle area and taking out the kick panel underneath the glovebox to see if you can determine more accurately where the water is coming from. Then let us know and we can give you more ideas.

Also, do you have t-tops? Its unlikely but possible that you've had a seal failure up there and water is dripping in from the roof.

Comment

I've never heard of the grommet leaking water, but if you want to check it take out the pcm and you'll see it down in there. If you want you can remove the rocker panel on the passenger side and pull the carpet out and you'll be able to see the grommet that way too.

Comment

And if you pull the carpet out, you can sit inside and have someone run a hose on the car and see where the leak is coming from. It sounds pretty big so it will probably be easy to spot.
                2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll give those a try as soon as it stops raining. Seems to be non stop here :(

Comment

Originally posted by pbryant_knight View Post
                    Would that let the water in when the car is stationary? How is the water channeled through the gromet? I'll have to check it out when it stops raining. Damn English weather. :(
                    yup, somehow water gets channeled back behind the pcm there, I'm assuming it is run-off.

I've partially dislodged this grommet to get my power wire through to the amp in the back. Actually did that on 3 4th gens so far, never had a water leakage issue. Is there a larger one somewhere else over there?
                    Did you ever pull up your car mats and feel the carpet there after a nice rain fall? That's how I found out...god knows how long its done this...its probably why I had to replace my flooring there...

Nice torrential downpour and you'll actually see a puddle when you lift the mat.

Comment

well i taped up all the window apeture and the water still got in. Its definately coming through the kick panel at the side of the passenger footwell but the carpet to the front where it moves up to the bulkhead was dry.

Haven't had a chance to get the kick panel off to check it out behind there yet though.

Where does the water get in from the exterior of the car to run off on the inside though? I'd much rather just block this up for now until i can sort a more permanent fix.

Peter

Comment

GM uses several types of connections to hold materials together, welds, glues, prayers, etc. However in the footwell there are a limited number of places water can get in. Its being powered by gravity, so start at the top and work your way down.

You say the window seal is ruled out. Ok, good, how about the edge of the windshield, top, side and bottom? Next after water flows off the windshield it drains to a trough thing between the windshield and hood and is supposed to flow to the sides of the car from there. Try taking a look at that, or dump some water w/ dye (food coloring?) and see if it ends up inside your car.

Doesn't seem this this is a terribly common problem, so apply a little scientific method.

Comment

OK, well i managed to get the kick panel and under dash panel off and i think you were bang on with the rubber grommet. It was half out due to the fact someone had fed wires (probably alarm) underneath it. I managed to cut the grommet a bit, push the wires up into it the put silicone sealant all over it for extra protection. Fingers crossed this solves the problem completely. :)

Thanks for all the help :)

Comment

Originally posted by pbryant_knight View Post
                            OK, well i managed to get the kick panel and under dash panel off and i think you were bang on with the rubber grommet. It was half out due to the fact someone had fed wires (probably alarm) underneath it. I managed to cut the grommet a bit, push the wires up into it the put silicone sealant all over it for extra protection. Fingers crossed this solves the problem completely. :)

Thanks for all the help :)
                            lemme know if it works....I cut mine to cause I had wayyy too many wires going through it, and some outside of it lol....no way Im running all of those over again.

How did you get a caulking gun in there?

Comment

It did work :)

Well pleased, no more swimming pool in the footwell :)

I didn't use a gaulking gun, i used a small tube of black sealant. If you can't find one of those though you could put some of the sealant from the gaulking gun into a much smaller syringe. that would do the same job.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X