replacing a/c compressor what else do i need? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

replacing a/c compressor what else do i need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing a/c compressor what else do i need?

im replacing my a/c compressor and while im doing that i know there are a couple things i also need to replace. i know i need to replace the accumlator what else should i do while doing this?

Re: replacing a/c compressor what else do i need?

I was looking for this stuff earlier. I found this.
    http://forum.camarov6.com/showthread...ghlight=pulley

Comment

Yeah that was a good thread. Maybe Alex will chime in and let us know how his AC is working since it's been about a year.

Madforce, it looks like you just need the parts mentioned in that thread, plus anything else that you think may need replacing while you've got stuff apart. Like a new belt or whatever.
      2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

thanks guys. now im really thinking about doing everything my self just have a two questions now. how much should it cost to have the a/c purged and refilled after i do replace everthing and are there bolts on the back of the compressor or just the three bolts in front?

Comment

Hey Madforce, I heard the call thanks to Rob :tup:

Yes you should do the work yourself, it takes some time but it's a learning experience definitely. Bottom line, expect decent cold AC air blowing through your vents as a reward. :) Like Rob said, a new serpentine belt would be a great item to add towards your maintenance list. Check your pulleys by the belt tensioner as well.

Purging the old AC refrigerant: Several automotive DIY books tell you to take it to a professional and your wallet goes empty for whatever an hours worth of labor goes in your town locally. Mines was purged naturally lol, it "leaked" into the atmosphere little by little after I purchased the '96 back in '04. I really didn't need the AC in the cool Northeast climate and I don't know where you live so it's up to you if you have the cash. I don't see any danger in letting it hiss out unless AL Gore was standing behind you... :slap: Keep your distance and don't breathe it in like those wackos who wiff Cool Whip cans just to get a cheap high.

Bolts: I recall there are THREE bolts in front of that horseshoe shaped bracket in front and TWO rear ones that need to be removed carefully. In between the rear two bolts there should be a third bolt for the line support to the best of my knowledge. The bracket is made of that white metal and it's brittle. Crack it and it's a $40 part at your local stealership just to let you know.

Below, Autozone sells these R134A refrigerant cans and the instructions are very easy to follow if you were to do it yourself. Keep in mind that in order to get an accurate reading, your AC instrument controls has to be on the coldest setting with the fan on max blowing power.

It took me two cans by trial and error. I was totally empty when I begun the charging procedure. When you connect the R134A can to your accumulator/drier don't forget to shake the cans, the engine is turning your new compressor and every little bit of refrigerant is being sucked in. Also you'll feel the can get super frosty due to the refrigerant gas being recirculated into your AC system. Good luck and keep us posted with your findings so we can help you out!
          Last edited by 96RS Alex; 07-26-2011, 04:01 AM. Reason: Show & Tell :)
          Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

i need to do this as well; Alex I was reading your old thread when you asked about it; how much was your compressor and accumulator?
            1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
            1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
            1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
            2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

If you have a hand-operated vacuum pump and an extra of those AC recharge hoses around, you can purge the system yourself pretty easily. Cut the end of the hose off near the guage so you have the length of hose with the AC connector on the one end. Use one of your vacuum pump fittings to connect your pump to the hose. Install the hose on the AC system and start pumping the vacuum. It will take a while and your hand will get tired. Supposedly you have to get 29 inches of vacuum, but you will probably only get 25 or so. That's close enough. Then add your refrigerant and you're good to go.

I did this on one of my cars when I did the R12 - R134A conversion and it worked great.

I also wouldn't be too concerned about letting the old refrigerant out either. Didn't they make R134A because it was supposed to be ozone-safe? I don't believe a word of the ozone stuff anyway, but that's another topic.
              Last edited by Rob Bell; 07-26-2011, 04:46 PM.
              2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

well im going to talk to one of my dad's friends about the purging and what not. he does a/c repair out of his house and we know him through scouting so im sure i can get a cheap price to do so. any ways yah down here in pensacola florida it gets hot for most of the year. there is no real not running a/c during the day. its just too hot for that.

Comment

Originally posted by truekoa View Post
                  i need to do this as well; Alex I was reading your old thread when you asked about it; how much was your compressor and accumulator?
                  RockAuto is my favorite online shop for parts like this. I believe i spent $20 for the accumulator/ drier and the Delphi AC Compressor was $255 and applied the 5% off RockAuto discount online code.

Usually first time customers don't get the discount code so I highly recommend this link below if you want to shop RockAuto online for all your parts. Just use the latest code offering and apply at checkout.

:tup: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/rockauto.com
                  Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

thanks but i get discounts with my gf's dad for parts from gm and napa. thats what happends when you restore 4 cars all to full gm parts.

Comment

You can rent a vacuum pump from an autoparts store for nothing (other than the refundable deposit). When you establish the vacuum and hold it for a while, it allows the moisture to boil off (and get sucked out in gas form). The deeper the vacuum the less time that takes, so a good pump will work best, and since they can be expensive, I'd just rent one, or after putting everything back together take it to a shop that has the right equipment. A lot of people think a vacuum is a vacuum is a Hoover, but there are some significant differences in small changes of pressure.

For instance, you need at least 29.3mmHg to boil water at 70 degrees F and if the temperature is 80 degrees then you only need 29.0mmHg. But that's just to begin the simmer. The greater the vacuum the quicker that moisture will boil and be sucked out.

There is a (usually) a drier in the system that will suck up some of the moisture if you fail to achieve a sustained vacuum, course, you're shortening the drier's ability to absorb moisure should more be introduced for some reason later

Buddy of mine did his, the shop evacuated the old system, then when he replaced the damaged parts and oil, took it back to them and they pulled the vacuum and refilled the refrigerant and leak tested it for him all for a very reasonable price.

I absolutely hate that self-ritious pile of **** Al Gore. He'd tell one of his goons to let the coolant out then when press heard of it he'd point his finger at them saying that it wasn't him and get a Nobel Prize for a lecture on how automotive AC units are killing the leprechauns. BUT, it's still the right thing to do to have the coolant evacuated by a shop. You might even get a shop to remove the old coolant for nothing if you ask nicely.
                      Last edited by landj; 07-27-2011, 01:08 PM.

Comment

is there a brand name to look out and to watch out for? Or anything of the main brands will do?
                        1998 Chevy Camaro 3.8
                        1997 Chevy Camaro Z28 - SOLD 7-23-2011
                        1996 Chevy Camaro Z28
                        2001 Pontiac Firebird Formula

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X