ignition problem! pleeeeaaaaase help! - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ignition problem! pleeeeaaaaase help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ignition problem! pleeeeaaaaase help!

ran into some water yesterday car shut off and wouldnt turn back on. I had to replace the starter and after a couple hours of letting it dry and numerous attempts to start it it finally did. Ran fine when i started it and spewed water out the exhaust that was trapped in there. took it for a drive and the car just shut off on me while at a stop and check gages light comes on. it also bogs when i hit the gas in the beginning. heres a clip of me starting it and how it does notice i have to press the gas to keep it on or it wont start on its own. Also when are the fans suppose to come on? it was running at about normal temp and they still hadnt come on

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s...=VIDEO0004.mp4

Re: ignition problem! pleeeeaaaaase help!

It's called hydrolocking. It would have been a good idea to pull the spark plugs and rotate the engine before attempting to refire it. Might make sure your MAF sensor is clean along with your filter.

Also check your oil and coolant, make sure the coolant is the right color and doesn't have any brown floaties and make sure the oil doesn't look like chocolate milk.

Comment

rotate the engine? im changing the spark plugs tomorrow, had an extra maf sensor so i switched it out. Filter had water and dried it before starting it. oil looks fine and will check the coolant tomorrow. it did run fine until it warmed up then it started shutting off

Comment

pray that it's not hydrolocked....that would be the end to your engine!
        WAWA-A-HOLIC

Comment

What is hydrolocking? How much water do you need in the system for this to happen?

Comment

Hydrolocking is when water gets into the combustion chamber, and since it cannot be compressed, the piston just stops in place, usually bending the connecting rod and causing major damage. Since the combustion chamber is now filled with water and the piston is locked in place, you cannot even crank it until you get the water out.

I would think that if it was hydrolocked he would not have been able to re-start it in the first place, after the initial dry-out period. Either the starter would just click because the engine could not move, or you'd feel a bump as the hydrolocked piston pushes against the water. He said it ran fine when he got it re-started, and then had issues keeping it running. Depending on the depth of the water, something probably just got wet and needed to dry out.
            2002 Silver Firebird A4<br />T-Tops, Leather, Y87, W68, Chrome Wheels<br />Bone Stock

Comment

yea she did start up and i even took it for a drive. was running for a good half hour fine before it started shutting off on me. I know its misfiring so i know i do have to change the plugs but i dont get why it runs fine in the beginning then gets worse?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
              Working...
              X