Uh-oh... Metal shavings in the oil - or so I think? - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uh-oh... Metal shavings in the oil - or so I think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh-oh... Metal shavings in the oil - or so I think?

Hi, Guys

Just finished a well overdue oil change/wash and took the usual quick look in the oil drainage pan to see if there was anything and there were tiny little, round specs of metal...

Just hit 60,000 miles about a week ago...

What's a normal amount? and what should I watch/ listen for?

The car runs like a top. I didn't bother cutting open the filter to take a look... Definitely will have a look in there, next oil change.
    In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
    2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Re: Uh-oh... Metal shavings in the oil - or so I think?

how long are you waiting to do an oil change?
    Wait, Is that a V6 or V8?
    1990 Chevrolet C-K 1500 series 4.3L .. 5spd
    1994 JDM Euno Roadster 1.8L 5spd Bolt Ons.. etc
    2000 Camaro 3.8L Auto Bolt Ons..etc

Comment

Originally posted by ACiFiC View Post
      how long are you waiting to do an oil change?
      3k miles usually. This one was a bit longer than usual.
      In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
      2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

cut open the oil filter and check for big chunks.
        Team NoVa

2000 Firebird- Intake, Pacesetters, !cat, full 2.5 to flowcrapster, 1.9 rockers, LS6 springs and Intense modded retainers, WS6 speedlines, T/A bumpers and hatch, 5 spd swapped, SOON TO BE nitrous'd and cammed.

Comment

Never seen any metal shavings in all the oil changes I've done before. What did the old oil filter reveal if you saved it and sliced it open?

Can you post some high quality pics of the metal particles?

Time to invest in a FilterMag to save your engine. Check this out, from a Dodge Ram Forum >>> http://www.ronbarthelt.com/Ram19.html
          Black \'96 RS Camaro, 3.8 V6 Series II, M5, Stock 200 HP, 204K miles! Stock \'91 Firebird 3.1 V6 automatic w/ overdrive. 266,400 miles on it. \'83 Pontiac Trans Am,305 LG4, Cowl Induction,Borg Warner 5 Speed,T-Tops,Gale Banks Exhaust System:$800 obo

Comment

What oil filter are you using?

Comment

Fram filter. I threw the filter away because I didn't see anything... I tired taking pictures but they wouldn't focus enough to get the shavings into it...

I'll check out the filter mag! thanks!
              In America's Hat!

Comment

Just checked out that link!! Those look metal shavings were very similar to what I was seeing! only mine were smaller! thanks
                In America's Hat!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                Working...
                X