I have to admit I'm very impressed with the 3.8L - FirebirdV6.com/CamaroV6.com Message Board

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have to admit I'm very impressed with the 3.8L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have to admit I'm very impressed with the 3.8L

This might or might not be the right place to post this, and yeah I am a go fast guy as I've had 2 Z28's in my lifetime to date, but this engine is darn near indestructable...

My car currently has 148,000 miles

In January, I had a mystery coolant leak, and I had a fuel pump installed around the same time... The coolant leak spewed ALL of my antifreeze out of the engine and I was forced to drive it without coolant for about 8 miles, easily running into the redline temperatures. The fuel pump also caused the engine to run lean... to big nono's for an engine...guess what... after fixing both the coolant leak, and fuel pump, car cranks up and drives like it never even happened... although I now need a new catalytic converter...
    1997 Camaro RS W/T-Tops<br />All Stock / 200 HP

Re: I have to admit I'm very impressed with the 3.8L

My Firebird blew it's water pump into pieces during a Hill Climb event, I finished the climb as the last of the coolant poured out. After replacing the pump and some old hoses it was back to normal. Also had to limp it home on 5 cylinders the other day after my headers ate a plug wire. Doesn't seem to have bothered it either. Mine has just about the same number of miles, and I drive it hard as a DD, and during autocross and Climb events in the area. The previous owner also didn't seem to know that cars need their oil changed once in a while. They seem to be pretty tough little units, let's hope we didn't jinx ourselves.

Comment

I think I just did, I noticed a ticking sound from the engine during startup, its consistant with engine RPMS and it goes away after 2 or 3 revs... is this a bad sign?

Comment

Well, mine has done that ever since I got it too. I don't think it's "normal" but I don't thinki it's a sign of impending doom.

Comment

while im impressed with how strong they can be, im also very not impressed with all the little problems they seem to constantly encounter.....like coolant leaks and bad coilpacks which seems to happen to 9 outta 10 ppl

Comment

Originally posted by whitdog54 View Post
            while im impressed with how strong they can be, im also very not impressed with all the little problems they seem to constantly encounter.....like coolant leaks and bad coilpacks which seems to happen to 9 outta 10 ppl
            The effects of lesser engineering or bad design. Coolant leaks due to crappy quality plastic elbows and/or lower quality gaskets. As for coilpacks, those are a limited-wear item and are meant to be replaced over time, just as a distributor would be (except there are multiples, not just one).

The 3800 is one of my favorite hardy engines. They can take a lot of abuse and neglect, and can still be relatively cheap to maintain, unlike several other cars out there.
            '99 Camaro
            '04 Saab 9-3 Aero
            '90 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

I had a 3.4 a while ago and that was a great engine. My new 3.8 Camaro drives great but as leaks from the gearbox selector switch and/or sump gasket and also the rocker cover gasket. :(

The car doesn't have half the miles on that you guys have so I hope once these are fixed I'll have some trouble free motoring. :)

Peter

Comment

I lost all my coolant on the QEW a couple years ago when a road gator(tractor trailer tire debris) took out my lower rad hose.

I limped her off the highway replaced the hose and coolant and all is well.

I always use synthetic oil so I think that helped a little.

She's a tough little car:)

Comment

I've ran a super charger for 3 years then switch to nitrous 100-150 shots for 2 years and now its turboed and still running strong.
                  08' L76 6.0L 4X4 Chevy EXT.Cab LTZ Vortec MAX with Snug top cover, Dynomax exhaust,Hptuners& K&N intake
                  96' Camaro M5 to A4 conversion, alot of mods . GT35R Turbo full suspension. Built engine

Comment

I've got the 3.4 in the camaro, but a 3.8 in my Impala, and both have been great engines with no problems.

Originally posted by transamtom1 View Post
                    I lost all my coolant on the QEW ...
                    What's the QEW?

Comment

The whole Buick 3800 range of engines was great. They made em until like 2008, millions of them out there.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by landj View Post
                        I've got the 3.4 in the camaro, but a 3.8 in my Impala, and both have been great engines with no problems.

What's the QEW?
                        I think its a Canadian Freeway... or maybe some northern expressway.

Comment

Originally posted by landj View Post

What's the QEW?
                          The Queen Elizabeth Way, QEW for short.

The name of the Highway(interstate for the US peeps)between Fort Erie(Buffalo) and Toronto.

Comment

The name of the Highway(interstate for the US peeps)between Fort Erie(Buffalo) and Toronto.
                            It is the biggest parking lot in Canada ;)
                            In America's Hat!

1997 Camaro 30th 'vert... GT1 cam/C6 wheels/Flowmaster/HIDs/Viper 2 way alarm/Alpine audio mods up the wazoo
                            2005 Equinox LT... mostly stock daily/Thule snowsports roof system/sound + interior mods

Comment

So I was right :D

Is that highway 401?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X